Sunday, July 15, 2012

I want to see The Oh Wells play

I'm going to quickly acknowledge the two month gap and move on because it makes me a little sad. What has become of our once lively BEDA inspired blog? Well, this, and now it will become something else, evolve into something beautiful and wonderful or maybe it will continue to be hauntingly vacant and both of those things are okay! What do you want to happen? Let's talk about it! And now on with my blog post.

Last Wednesday night, I went into Vancouver with some friends to see a favourite local band of mine. My introduction to them took place at a intimate Earth Day event they played at. I was there with my mom and fell in love with their gorgeous harmonies, clever lyrics (referencing Harry Potter in two different songs didn't hurt my opinion of them) and badass harnessing of the ukulele.

That Earth Day show would have been three years ago and I've been listening to their music and trying to follow their performances ever since. Unfortunately, actually seeing them play is not as easy as I would like. Last Wednesday was the fourth time I tried to see them play and could not--for varying reasons. The first time, their bass player was ill. The next incident, the time they wrote on their website was three hours after their scheduled set and I arrived to an empty coffeehouse. This week we couldn't get in because the show was taking place a bar, though the band website clearly specified the show as all ages.

As we walked away from the venue, down the sidewalk and onto the next adventure, I turned to my friends, all but disillusioned. What does it say about me, I said, that I keep coming back for more? No matter how many shows they don't perform, no matter how many times I've gone home disappointed, I still show up at the next one--handing over my heart, daring them to break it. Hoping this time will be different, that they'll play and it'll make all their absences worthwhile?


One of my friends said simply, "It says you want to see them play."


2 comments:

Vita said...

I love this post! Strong closing line.

Sarah said...

Hey, it's Sarah from The Oh Wells! Sorry for the short notice, we just saw this post tonight! We are playing the macdonald stage at one pm tomorrow at the Khatsalano Fest, hope you can make it! If not, We are playing the matador on July 28th, you can be our VIP guest!! :)