Monday, November 29, 2010

Grocery Antics

Due to my employment at a natural foods grocery store for the past three months, I have a few new problems. I shall list first and explain second.

  1. Identity crisis
  2. Burgeoning obsessive compulsive disorder.
  3. Crazy muscles 
  4. Money
Okay so maybe the last two aren't problems, so to speak. But they are realities.

To address the first item, not everyone at work calls me Alex. My full name is Alexandra and I put this name on my resume and other formal documents which led to my nametag reading Alexandra. And that's fine. I don't have a problem with the name and there was a point in my life when I wanted to be called Alexandra, despite it being a mouthful of letters. Even though I introduce myself as Alex to everyone, there are a few people who call me Alexandra because that it what my nametag says. That's fine.

For a while though, my immediate manager (I have a few managers but this one is the grocery manager which is my department) has been calling my Alexandria. And that has been weird. 

You know when people call you by the wrong name or pronounce your name wrong and it feels weird to correct them and you don't want to make them feel like an idiot so you don't say anything and then every time they do it in the future, you let them because if it was awkward the first time, it gets extremely so to say anything and then two months pass and you're finally like, 'Okay, enough, this is ridiculous. I have to to something.' It got to the point where another person started calling me Alexandria too even though I had him on my side before. He was brainwashed. My name on the schedule is Alexandria. And so I finally told the first guy.

His reaction was weird. All I said was, "You can call me Alex if you want," and then he had this weird expression on his face that I cannot logically explain. Since then, he has still been calling my Alexandria. So I'm giving up.

My sisters and I are constantly joking about all of this. Pretty soon, I'm going to think my name is, in fact, Alexandria. I was very close to writing it on the yogurt I put in the staff fridge. Very close.

to be continued when I have the time (i.e. after NaNoWriMo--almost done!)

1 comment:

Renata said...

I get mispronunciations a lot, if I haven't griped about that on the blog yet... My somewhat frightening ex-football coach driving instructor manages an egregious one every single lesson: (never going to correct him, though) Ray-nettia. I've learned to respond to the Spanish word for "pomegranate", too.