Friday, November 26, 2010

Happiness

I’ve written two entire blog posts. They’ve both been reasonably well developed and reasonably well written. Neither of them is flat-out negative.

But they still seem too negative, given the season, given today, given everything. Lately, hasn’t it been so difficult just to be happy? Everything comes with strings attached.

Well, happiness shouldn’t be like that. Happiness is love in the air that everyone breathes in.

So, why am I happy?

I’m happy that I have a wonderful nuclear family and a pretty damn great extended family, even if by “extended family” I mean “the extended family that I know,” which mostly involves my grandparents and a few aunts and uncles.

I’m happy that my sister is home from college until Sunday and that she’ll be back home again in less than a month.

I’m happy that I have friends. I’m happy that I have friends that make me happy. I’m happy that I have friends who I may disagree with, theologically or politically or musically or whatever-ly, and yet I’m still friends with them and I don’t think any less of them. I’m happy that I know it’s possible so that I will still have those kinds of diverse relationships when I’m older. I’m happy that I’m realizing that people aren’t linear and that there are always new opportunities to become friends with people. I’m happy that there are always new friends to be made.

I’m happy that I’m making a conscious effort to be more positive.

I’m happy that I started my homework on a Friday night.

I’m happy that I went out earlier today.

I’m happy that I’m seeing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows again on Sunday.

I’m happy that I’ve decided to become the person I want to be. I’m happy that I might actually stick to that plan this time around.

I’m happy that I have food and water and a warm, cozy bed.

I’m happy that I’ve discovered that I love to help people. I’m happy that I’ve decided to actively pursue that passion in the future.

I’m happy that books still exist in print form. I’m happy that no matter how that may change in the future, the brilliance and poignancy and quality of great writers’ minds won’t deteriorate in the future.

I’m happy that I’m wearing fingerless gloves to keep my hands simultaneously toasty warm and free to move about.

I’m happy that I’m part of this blog and that I have two wonderful blogging buddies. I’m happy that this blog has become a part of my life, as cheesy as that may sound (no pressure).

I'm happy that many people, especially Ingrid Michaelson and Regina Spektor, make music.

I’m happy that 30 Rock exists.

I’m happy that a lot of things exist, including but not limited to: Youtube, wizard rock, houses, music, education, vaccines, fainting goats, and cheesecake from the Chinese bakery semi-near my house.

I’m happy that even though I popped a tire on my family’s car today, nobody was hurt and the damage was easily fixed.

I’m happy that I get to go to school, flaws and all. I’m happy that I have an opportunity to learn, because even when the system is broken, it’s better than no system at all. I’m happy that literacy is being spread.

I’m happy that the Christmas season is either soon to arrive or already here, depending on your opinion and your feelings towards Christmas music before December.

I’m happy that even though my life is far from perfect, I have the ability and the means to work up up up.

I’m happy that even though the world sucks, our lives are still worth living.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Thank you.
Sometimes I think we're too alike. I don't know if you ever feel like this but I do. And then when I'm feeling so lost and drifty in this huge, magnificent, scarily infinite universe, you go and write something like this and it's like a part of my subconscious knew this was exactly what I needed.
Thank you.

For some reason, I'm reminded of this John Green quote:"When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail."

**"We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken."**

I'm so grateful and happy to have you and Rena in my life. How's that for cheesy?