Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Emotional growth in 4 years? Preposterous!

I have a story:

At the release of Deathly Hallows, my mom picked up my pre-ordered copy without me. I don't know how or why I allowed this to happen, but it did. She was asked if Snape was good or evil, and, being clueless, answered that he was good. I wound up with the book and a sticker that said "Trust Snape".* I was furious. At first my anger was directed towards my mom, insisting she should have called me and asked my personal opinion so as to ensure accuracy. (Even though she didn't know a sticker depended on her answer... oh, faulty 12 year old logic.) Then, being a really indignant little shit about the whole ordeal, I defaced the sticker itself. (Very ineffectively; blue pen on glossy purple paper doesn't show well, for future reference.) At the end of my graffiti spree, it read something like "don't ever disTrust Snape (not)", which, although a confusing triple negative, still worked.

**It still amazes me that the proposed trust of a fictional character's fictional actions cold have inspired so much rage in me, regardless of if it was juvenile and impotent. I like to think I've mellowed out considerably.**

Surprisingly, (I'm sure my 12 year old self would hate me for this) the only time I cried during the movie was The Prince's Tale. I've seen the movie twice, and this has happened twice. (three times on Friday, many more times after that. I have a feeling this is going to be a recurring thing.) Maybe I've developed sympathy for Snape and am sorry for being an indignant little shit years ago (sound like anyone else?), maybe Alan Rickman is the actor's equivalent of God Almighty, maybe that part is just fucking sad.

Regarding my reaction to the rest of the film, though, I only really have a lasting, overarching problem with the cinematography/directing choices, I don't know if I'm using the term correctly. Certain epic moments were not given proper epicness, while certain scenes that would have benefited from an intimate shot were filmed on a grand scale. The battle was shot using jump cuts to all the deaths and action and Fred died crumpled in a corner alone and Percy wasn't in it at all. Raaaage. But this is a pretty slim paragraph of complaints, all in all.

Maybe it's because my sense of humor has matured, too, but this was probably the funniest HP movie, by virtue of all the tension-breaking non-sequiters and Voldemort hugging Draco/shoving Bellatrix/laughing/basically doing anything. Oh, and Voldy's head on the aborted fetus-looking thing. Nasty, but it made me giggle inappropriately. It looked like it was covered in tomato sauce. Also: did it look like Snape was wearing excessive amounts of eyeshadow? Like, not in attempt to make his eyes look more sunken or nearer death or anything, Snape was just rocking the smoky eye for no apparent reason. Discuss!

* Did all the bookstores do this? Which did you guys choose (/would you have chosen if asked the question before reading DH)?

2 comments:

AiringMyLaundry said...

I'm not really into Harry Potter. My son really likes it though.

Oh, and I cry during movies a lot. I wish I didn't as it can get embarrassing when I'm with a group of people.

Vita said...

I didn't get my book at a midnight release so I don't know if the bookstores near me gave out stickers! I image they'd have had some sort of pre-release party, though. I didn't actually read "Deathly Hallows" until... a few months after it came out. It might even have been 2008 before I read it! I can't remember. It came out right in the middle of my Harry Potter seventh and eighth grade purge, unfortunately.
I don't remember if I thought Snape was good or bad, either. I remember being very, very upset at the end of "Half-Blood Prince" and very angry at Snape. I think I probably thought he was evil... but I can't remember how I reacted to "The Prince's Tale" so I don't know! (It's weird how given how much I loved Harry Potter in elementary school and how much I love it now, I don't remember so much of how I started reading it.)