Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I am a mature young adult; I will be unsupervised, at night, in costume

(Alright, so this will be the c-c-c-combo breaker of the chain of deep and thoughtful posts. But isn't that how it always is?)

First, a sigh of relief on my part, as I only just recently obtained my ticket for the midnight premiere*, after being completely convinced they would have sold out by now. I'm really not the best person at planning ahead, even for important things.

Anyway, this whole business got me thinking. As with the last two movies, I was planning (there's that word again) to go with a group. Then they backed out of it, both having to get up for summer school in the morning and being incapable of working on very few hours of sleep.** But instead of sulking and backing out of the chance to traipse around in a costume in the wee hours of the morning and to go to my first midnight premiere ever for the last Harry Potter movie ever and to truly enjoy myself, I went ahead and got the ticket. I am going alone and I'm going to have fun if it kills me or another innocent bystander in the process. I feel like this is a mature decision, even if I'm not deciding to do a conventionally mature thing. I don't need the acceptance or safety of a group to have fun. This is kind of a momentous decision, in its own weird way.

* I got permission to go sometime in mid-May (my mother is very much a supporter of midnight movies, based on her experiences with them back when they were entertainment for delinquent subculture children instead of profitable nerd fanbases), but the actual physical admission is recent.

** Unlike moi. It's strange I consider the ability to handle sleep deprivation well a skill, but in a way it is.

3 comments:

Vita said...

Okay, one of the benefits of going by yourself is that you can mingle with people instead of just clinging to your friends the whole time (not that friends are bad!). Plus I, and I'm sure Alex, will be with you in spirit! And also it's Harry Potter so who even cares?! All the tears from a hundred weeping fans will mingle on the theater floor like clashing foods digesting in the same stomach!!
Anyway I support you in this endeavor. CLAPS and HIGH FIVES.

Renata said...

Yeah, there's that. I'm bound to see people I know anyway (it's at the only theater in my not-quite-that-big town), and we all definitely have a shared interest. :)

Alex said...

I am very impressed with your resolve. And I'm sure you'll have fun. Also, you'll most likely get a great seat because you can squeeze in between large groups of people! Yeah!

And, yeah, I'm totally there with you in spirit. Though, technically, you two will be seeing it 2-3 hours before me. *sigh* Time zones.