Saturday, August 28, 2010

BOOK! It's a blog! (Subtitle: teehee, I'm so very punny)

Suppity sup sup SUP?
So I hope you don't mind that I've posted before my day and I'm posting after my day, but I haven't posted on my day. I figure that since Alex is off traversing the oceans and Rena is mostly posting at the Ning, August is screwed up enough that it doesn't matter if I get creative with the blogging thing thangs. (Like yin-yang! But different!)
I've been SORT of a downer in my last two blogs, and while they were both as honest as I'll ever get (which is pretty damn honest, if I do say so myself), I think I should lighten the mood. That, or I'm taking a break from my French homework that I sort of really procrastinated on a lot... NO MATTER!
So as I said on the Ning however many days ago it was, I'm looking to improve my reading habits, by which I mean I'm going to start reading regularly again. And such. I have compiled a list (much of which was inspired by one of the threads at the Nerdfighters Ning) of books I am planning to read by the end of next year/however long it takes, some of which I may fail to read because they are complicated books that I do not as of yet understand, but I shall try! And that is the important thing. If you have any suggestions, PLEASE TELL ME. (No, I'm not desperate...) I don't care how easy/hard or frivolous/deep they are. Everything is welcome.
The following list is compiled of books I have not read before, except for the ones with an asterisk, which I have read but am planning on rereading.

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom
Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
The Princess Bride by William Goldberg
Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry*
The Giver by Lois Lowry*
Daniel Half Human by David Chotjewitz
The Lacemaker and the Princess by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
The Wanderer by Sharon Creech
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillio
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Peter Pan by James Barry
Love is a Mixtape by Rob Sheffield
The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterson
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
Slaughterhouse 5 by Krt Vonnegut
The Stranger by AlbertCamus
Factotum by Charles Bukowski
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
The Feminie Mystique by Betty Friedan
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostyesky
1984 by George Orwell
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley
Hope Is A Thing With Feathers by Christopher Cokinos
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
Sphere by Michael Crichton
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks
The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
The Elements of Style
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis
How to Read Literature Like a Professor
The Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Zombies vs. Unicorns by assorted YA authors
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux [I think]
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Macbeth by Shakespeare
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
The Crucible by Arther Miller* [well, I've seen it performed about 9340 billion times, which is similar]
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
A Passage to India by E. M. Forster
A Bend in the River by V. S. Naipaul
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank*
Don Quixote by Miduel de Cervantes
The Bible by Various
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
Ulysses by James Joyce
The Quiet American by Graham Greene
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulke
Money by Martin Amis
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
The Way We Live Now by Antony Trollope
The Outsider by Albert Camus
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
Man without Woman by Ernest Hemingway
Gulliver´s Travels by Jonathan Swift
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens*
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Dafoe
One flew over the Cockoo´s Nest by Ken Kesey
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Divine Comedy by Alighieri Dante
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
Nothing by Janne Teller

1 comment:

Renata said...

A Little Princess, Tuck Everlasting, H2G2, and Huckleberry Finn are books I can vouch for personally. Other made awesome movies, and by common assumption the books are ALWAYS better.