Friday, April 1, 2011

A Bloggomentary!

The Life of a Vita in the Wild: January -- April 1st, 2011

Observations of General Life
  • I've been watching a lot of Doctor Who. A lot of Doctor Who. Often in lieu of, you know, homework. Thus far I've finished seasons 1 - 4 (that's the 9th and 10th Doctors, mind you) and I'm on Ep.9, I believe, of Seasons 5. I don't feel like getting into my whole Who history now (not that it's extensive or confusing, but still), so I will leave you with this general assessment: whilst the 11th Doctor grows on me every time I see him* and the 10th Doctor has a special place in my heart for being my (and so many others') first Doctor and for being great (it applies to both the character and the actor [i.e. David Tennant... if you didn't know, I'm judging you. Kidding. Sort of]), I don't think I've ever loved a fictional character in quite the same way that I've loved the 9th Doctor. I'm sorry Christopher Eccleston didn't stay for another season because I do think that he actually lives and breathes the role. It's hardly even acting at that point. He just is the Doctor.
Point A: Doctor Who truly is one of the greatest pieces of television ever. Point B: Be it pathetic or encouraging, Doctor Who has, I think done a great deal in restoring my faith that every little bit of help counts. You can't save everything; you probably can't change the nature of a species; perhaps you sometimes intervene where you shouldn't or your moral compass becomes slightly askew; but the important thing is that you sacrifice and that you try your very hardest to make your little 'corner of the world' the best that it can possibly be. So.
  • Chicago and the One Acts. I've raved on, raved about these enough in the past. Essentially: my school put on Chicago; I worked on the show; it was awesome and fun times were had. Now we're doing the One Acts. Not quite so time-consuming. Not quite so fun. (Not awful -- just not exhilarating or anything.)
Eating Habits
  • Increased consumption of (many, many) delicious, buttery, French pastries.
  • Other food.
  • Addendum: basically, any food I can get my hands on. I swear, if my body mass actually reflected the amount of food I shove into my body, I would be my own one-woman obesity epidemic.

School Environment
  • A few posts below, I've already talked my feelings regarding school. If you would like more evidence of my slow descent into insanity: here are some inane ramblings on the college process and this slightly more intelligent annoyance at the regurgitation of books. Et cetera.
  • As far as what I've actually been doing at school that's been keeping me remarkably busy: Internal Assessments, busy work, essays, books, textbooks, tests, upcoming AP & IB exams, and other fun -- if I was saying that word out loud the sarcasm would probably give you radiation poisoning** -- things that are associated with one's junior year of high school.

Apparent Future Plans
  • BEDA. How could I miss our (wait for it) third anniversary? (Cue rainbow strobe lights and disco balls!) Is that too intimate? Does it matter? I think not. Curiously enough, despite having blogged on this blog for three years (well -- nearly, and if you don't count my suspicious recent absences) I've never been able to maintain a personal, independent, non-clingy girlfriend-esque blog of my own. I think I'll drag up the old Follow Alaska blog (that was a failed blogging experiment if I ever did fail at one***), so pop over there if you desire to fill your eyes and soul with more of the wonderful words that these fingers crank out. I'm hoping that this round of the old BEDA game will reunite me with my blogging Muse. As of late I've fallen into the habit of not blogging more than I have of blogging and, well, I can no longer let down this wide and expansive readership. You're welcome, each and every one of you. You. Are. Welcome.
  • Hopefully learning how to drive. There has been about a four month stall on the whole "getting behind the steering wheel and driving the goddamn car" thing, so I need to do that. Thing is, I really want to get my license and drive, but driving around neighborhoods is so. boring.
  • Summer? Vacation? What is that? As of yet, I don't know either. I'm hoping to hoof it over to a localish nonprofit organization and volunteer (read: save the world) but, as with all things, that plan has fallen into the void that is Procrastination. It will happen, though.
  • Let's be spontaneous. Spontaneity is good. Spontaneity is fun. Not combustion, though. I image that would hurt.
*Sounds like some bacterial growth. Ugh.
**Who even knows how that would work.
***Which, uh, I did.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Ah! I forgot to mention learning to drive in my blog! My road test is in 45 days and then I will have my license. Yeah! Too much exclamation? I think not!

This is all good to hear. I'm glad you have a life. I'm also jealous of Chicago. *sigh*

Lastly, should I be watching Dr. Who? I'm torn because I really don't need to spend more time watching television but the world seems to be saying that Dr. Who is worthwhile. Let me know.

Vita said...

That's awesome! Good luck with your license!

Re: Doctor Who -- I only really follow two television shows (Doctor Who and 30 Rock) so I don't have the problem of too much TV to mar my Whovian tendencies, but I would definitely recommend it. I'd try watching the 1st season all the way through (unless you really don't like the first few episodes) because it is, I think, the sort of show that you love the more involved you become in the story. If you just want to get a taste, try watching something like "Blink" or "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead" (a 2-part episode).