Thursday, April 28, 2011

Different Muscles

I regret the fact that I'm not a very fit person. I am what Gideon's cohort (whose name I have forgotten) in the novel Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn would call "skinny fat." My body type is, if not athletic, slim and I weigh a reasonably small amount.When it comes to muscle tone, aerobic stamina and physical endurance, however, I am a mediocre level of pathetic.

I'm not a complete couch attachment, though. I walk a lot--mostly to the bus centre and the coffee shop (which are actually located at the same place--and I eat relatively healthily. I also use some muscles at work, lifting boxes and running to do price checks. But that's, you know, once or twice a week.

If you ask me how healthy I am, I'll probably respond that I'm moderately out of shape due to not enough exercise and I should probably eat more vegetables. And maybe my metabolism allows me to be lazy without apparent consequence but I don't feel like throwing blame around. I'm still fitter than some and there is hope for the future. Get ready for a jumpy transition.

A couple weeks ago, I was asked about my writing, how it was going, how much I was doing, etc. I automatically thought of my novel and said I was taking a bit of a break from writing. But that, like my 'I vote Green' button, is a lie* (or, at the very least, misleading). The more I thought about it, the more apparent it became that I have been writing. A ton.

Unfortunately, she dropped me off at my house at that point so I couldn't rephrase that I've been writing different things. I couldn't tell her that I've been blogging every day this month. I didn't get a chance to say I'm trying my hand at songwriting. I failed to mention how I scribble down poems in my journal randomly or how I wrote the blurb that will be read as my friend walks across the stage at her graduation ceremony. I've been writing countless emails to be sister. I've written tweets every so often.

I've probably given enough evidence. I've been writing quite a lot.

Unlike my physical muscles, I've been working in a lot of different areas of writing. Honestly, it's next to impossible for me to not write. It's a compulsion, something as natural as sleeping. In the exercise department, I could probably use a little more balance but as for writing, I think I'm doing just fine. Sure, I want to work my novel into shape but it's just as useful to strengthen my other writing talents. Right? Right.

*sigh* I really want to get into better shape. *thinks about exercise* I'll get there.


*Seeing as how I am underage, I do not, in fact, vote for anyone. But if I could, I would.

No comments: