Saturday, April 16, 2011

The future? What's that?

Continuing with this introspective streak, if no one minds. Not that I do necessarily, it's just different. As opposed to, "Hey let's discuss this issue I've been thinking about via comments" this blog on the whole has turned into more "This is what's going on in my life I shall accept your comments on it."

Anyway, I've been thinking about the future. Or, more accurately, I've been forced to think about the future. Technically the future goes on forever and applies to everything, and if I thought about it in its entirety my head would be likely to metaphorically explode, but my future specifically--the one where I won't have the monotony of school and/or my mother telling me what to do and will actually have to decide for myself what to do with my life--is growing more imminent. I've always joked that I would end up with a BA in English and then live in an indie coffee shop whilst penning my Great American Novel, with a small apartment and a cat and a collection of glittery headscarves. Whereupon if I actually did that I'd end up homeless or totally dependent on other people's money. Which I don't want. If that fantasy ended up like I want it to in reality, then okay, that's not that bad. I wouldn't mind being an eccentric and writerly twentysomething. But if the second and more realistic side of that came true, I think I'd have some regrets. And so I'm trying to envision a future for myself wherein I can't immediately--even before they are implemented (huzzah for foresight)--see things I'd regret in the long run. I don't even think I'm going to major in English anymore. Which is different for me, considering it's the only thing that has come to mind in the past regarding the illusive future, as far back as elementary school. Since last semester, though, my mind has turned toward the social sciences--which at least have some practical application--or film--which is pretty much a revised fantasy, but at least one that doesn't quickly seem to involve my homelessness.

It's so weird to think that my junior year is 4 or so months away. Wherein, I've been warned, I will be stressing the fuck out over a myriad of different things. Which I don't want. Ooooh life is so hard.

And with that, I bid you all goodnight.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I like this post. It has a nice beat, if you know what I mean. It's almost lyrical to me.

As for the future, yeah, I want to write and be happy. Where I'll be or how I will be supporting myself is yet to be decided.