Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I Seriously Do Not Understand the Concept of Flag Day

Happy Birthday, Vita!

(Also, it's U.S. Flag Day. Paaaartaaaay.)*

A lot of countries have a holiday commemorating the first use of their current flag, but I just don't get it. Disregarding its position as a kind of lackluster, in-name-only holiday, I don't even see the real point of it. As opposed to, say, Arbor Day. I can appreciate the driving force behind Arbor Day even though I usually neglect celebrating it.

It is commonly agreed that the flag is a symbol of the country, and also patriotism, in a metaphorical sense. It's not like a bomb-wielding anarchist is just going to take that day off in observance, so maybe it's a chance for the average-level patriots to step up their game? But hardly anyone does. Why, then, do we need a specific holiday on which to be patriotic?** It's like a cycle of Congressional pointlessness. Perhaps, Vita, (living in what I assume to be a more concentrated area of patriotism), or Alex (living in a country with different attitudes towards patriotism altogether), you guys can enlighten me on this/add to my musings.

Or you can tell me I'm being an overly analytical spoilsport, whatever you want.

Footnotes:
* Whenever I abbreviate US, I always read it as the pronoun. Which is a.) grammatically incorrect and b.) kind of an interesting way of illustrating our Pocahontisian (here I know I could use some technical foreign policy term, and I choose to make a Disney reference. Deal with it.) "us or them" mentality.

** Or another holiday, if you count independence day.

1 comment:

Vita said...

I do not know why there is a Flag Day. Nobody around here celebrates it either. It's like Columbus Day: without purpose. (Good lord, do I hate Columbus Day.) Actually, my dad went to a Flag Day gathering type thing but I'm pretty sure it was just the name for a mostly unrelated meeting. So... do not know.

Thank you, belatedly, by the way! :D