Sunday, June 12, 2011

More parts!!

Part 1
I drove an SUV today and was a part of a convoy. Firsts! Butnoseriously, it worries me that I may be living a life today that makes the lives of future generations less prosperous. Maybe I'm the only person that thinks these kind of things when they're flipping through racks of clothing that were sewn in Nepal but it's true.

Part 2
I've noticed that writing songs is a lot like writing poetry only after I've written some words down, I pick up my ukulele and start strumming chords to see what fits and then saying, well singing, the words in different ways until I like it. Also, it's harder to know when I'm being original and when I'm ripping off other people's songs that are stuck in my head. Oh and the other difference is that when I finish, I don't really want to show it to people, no matter how awesome I think it is. Handing over a piece of paper is way less daunting than performing my work to an audience which I relate to opening yourself up and spilling all over the floor. Singing my own stuff is just so freaking personal and vulnerable and intense. And then there's that moment when I finish and no one says anything and I'm thinking, please, let me disappear. Maybe I'll get there someday, reach that place where I'm comfortable with my songs and self and can just play like a normal person. Until then, I'll be practicing in my room.


Part 3
It really bothers me when I'm too tired or disillusioned or both to be the person that I want to be. There was this incident last night involving people saying things that I disagreed with but, because I was tired and doubted that anyone would care or notice that I said something, didn't say anything about. It was like that moment when it feels like your last string breaks and it's not even worth it to argue because nothing you say will change their minds. And I hate that, that I didn't have the energy or willpower to be who I want to be.

Part 4
I went to the bookstore today and, on the sale shelves, placed seemingly for the sole purpose of mocking me were two books sitting innocently side by side.
Book 1: The Science of Sexy
Book 2: He's Just Not That Into You
It may be funny to you but it's even more hilarious if you are intimately acquainted with the goings on of my head and also my life. And on that note, I am going to go watch the movie, He's Just Not That Into You, which I got out of the library before it became applicable to my life.

3 comments:

Vita said...

I didn't know you sang (sung?)! Be a famous musician/author yes yes I think that is a satisfactory plan

Anonymous said...

This isn't related to your post but what do you think?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303657404576357622592697038.html

Also, this question can be for all of you.

Vita said...

Hello, anonymous person. That was an interesting article. I tried to get over my bias against people railing against modern YA because the idea that teenagers need to be fed more light-hearted stuff bristles my feathers, but as objectively as possible (so probably not very): I have to wonder where that writer is shopping for YA books. At every YA-carrying outlet I know of, there are a variety of books, ranging from the recent vomit of vampire/werewolf fantasy novels to light-hearted/heartwarming stories to comedies to dramas to insightful if gloomy books to "chick lit" (an annoying and stupid term, but you probably know what I mean) to, yes, the more macabre novels that the author seems so dismayed by, and a whole lot more. I mean, sometimes I get annoyed by the repetitiveness that is in some YA books but it's not because they're too dark; it's because they kill my brain cells with their assumption that teenage girls are really, really superficial. So I guess I just find the whole article over-dramatic and making a huge issue out of something that is, in my opinion, not a big deal. Besides, if anyone is really not happy with YA they can always either hop to the children's section or read general ("adult") fiction.
Also, as far as the writer's rant against the boy-cries-wolf syndrome that supposedly is book banning, she seems to miss the point. The objection is not to parents not letting their kids read a certain book because of its content/language but to parents who try to remove the content/language for ALL readers. So. No.
</rant