Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Hunger Games casting

Alright, alright, I'll confess that I can be a bit obsessive. Back in the day, I checked Harry Potter news sites multiple times everyday to see who was cast in different roles. I was one of the first to squee upon seeing the face of *insert franchise love interest here*. I could be ashamed of this but instead I accept it as a part of my life.

Therefore, no one should be surprised that I have been living (sometimes subconsciously) on Hunger Games news sites for the past couple weeks. And today Jennifer Lawrence was cast as Katniss.

Now, seeing as my track record on franchise casting decisions  is nothing but tarnished, I'm not here to make judgments or proclamations. Hell, I was looking forward to Rob Pattinson playing Edward and we all know how that turned out. But I will say, in short, that I have confidence in Jennifer Lawrence. Though she's kind of physically off from my imagined Katniss, I think she can play the part. Did you see Winter's Bone? That movie was scary intense and she was very believable and impressive as the determined daughter of a crack dealer. Or whatever went down in the frightening town.

What I'm really looking forward to, of course, is Peeta's casting. I don't know, maybe 'looking forward to' is the wrong wording. I'm waiting, somewhat anxiously.

The real question is this: why do I care so much? The movie will obviously never be the book and I, sensibly in my opinion, have never expected it to be. I'd just rather is be, like, somewhat good rather than the alternative.
Must work on that.

No comments: