Saturday, March 19, 2011

Re: The Hunger Games Casting

Although I wasn't really involved in up-to-the-minute casting announcements and which actresses were considered for the role of Katniss and so forth, I would--retroactively--like to support Saiorse Ronan. She doesn't look particularly much like the book's description (nor does Jennifer Lawrence, but that shouldn't affect her performance. At least, that's what I'm assuming. Conversely, when actors DO look like their characters, it often turns out brilliantly. EX: Evanna Lynch as Luna.), but I've seen her in City of Ember and The Lovely Bones (both awesome, as books and as films).

Of course, this choice is riding on the studio's strict interpretation that Katniss is white. Blindingly, incredibly, white-bread white. In my mind's eye I could see her as sort of Native American (isn't District 12 supposed to be in Appalachia? I.e, a region of the US with very strong Native American roots?), and if I could draw to save my life I'd give an example. But maybe this is nitpicking. As long as Suzanne Collins is writing the screenplay it should be at the very least worth seeing.

Also: I'm more interested in who's going to be cast as Haymitch than I am Gale or Peeta. Am I weird (By that I mean of course weirder than usual or weirder than has been reflected by these blogs in the past)?

No comments: