Monday, September 13, 2010

Dailybooth and, uh, yeah, hi.

Guys. It's 9/13 and we only have three (soon to be four) blogs listed in the sidebar under September. This is a problem.

Maybe I shouldn't be talking, given that a) there have been several long stretches during which I have not blogged due to a busy schedule and b) one of these long stretches was, uh, three weeks ago? (Shame shame.)

I understand that we all have lives of varying busyness at varying intervals and I don't begrudge anyone (including myself) for forfeiting blogging in favor of... other stuff. However, it does make me a little sad on the inside when there are no blogs to brighten my day in a virtual smorgasbord of sunshine and rainbows. Or whatever.

All I'm saying is: Hopefully we all get adjusted and get back into the groove of blogging soon.

-- SEXY TRANSITION (sup Michael Buckley) --

So I was on Dailybooth a few moments ago - not posting pictures of myself (I don't have an account, nor am I interested in getting one) but instead creeping on the livefeed (out of curiosity; I've never been there before) - and contemplating how the internet is a great tool for exploiting narcissism. Not even exploiting it-- just discovering it. I mean, how much more narcissistic can you get? It's a website dedicated to taking pictures of yourself. And asking people to become your audience as you take these pictures. WHAT? The whole thing reminds me of Myspace and too much Picnik editing on photos and it gives me a headache.

Then again, I like Dailybooth when the account belongs to people I care about - namely Youtubers. I guess it's the concept of celebrity; if you are famous (I used the term liberally, of course), then I care what you do. If you are not famous, then I think you are a major attention seeker. Plus, it's just the fact that it's essentially a website composed of people sitting in front of webcams. If I don't know anything about you, then why should I care about seeing your face? It's an honest question (honestly). What is the motivation behind Dailybooth?

That said, I don't have a personal vendetta against non-internet celebrities who use Dailybooth; they can do what they want. I just don't want to see it... which essentially means that one trip to the livefeed will be my first and last. Simple.

This doesn't make sense. I don't even like the concept of celebrity, and least not in the modern American sense. It's crazy. As much as I like Emma Watson, I don't want to know what she eats for breakfast, mostly because it's such an invasion of privacy. Celebrities = human. Stop treating them like something more - or perhaps, more accurately, something less.

I apologize for my incoherence. I'm tired. TTFN.

No comments: