Saturday, September 18, 2010

Twitiquette

(Meaningless Twitbreviation for etiquette relating to Twitter, may or may not already be copyrighted.)

It always feels so weird to unfollow someone on Twitter. I've done this for a variety of reasons, ranging from the fact that the person tweeted too frequently, tweeted about things I stopped caring about, and other things I don't even remember. They all basically amount to "I don't care what you have to say anymore.", which is freaking cruel. I hate when people unfollow me, (making this just a really, really crappy double standard) even though there's a high probability that they were spambots whose account got deleted, not real people making personal judgments against me.* Another aspect of Twitiquette, as pointed out by Alex, is the strangeness/publicness/vapidity of holding conversations with people via Twitter. . .

Wow, I've been typing this blog sporadically for the past hour, and this is all I have to say on this one subject, but I don't really want to segue into another unrelated subject because this is the more important one, so if I started another paragraph about, say, the quality of various pastries, THAT would serve to draw attention away from this, like, commentary on human decency through Twitter--or I'm just flattering myself and rambling, filling this space with words, words that are only important to me because I've created them (or, more accurately, arranging them to express my thoughts, which are important to me). That ENTIRE THING was ONE SENTENCE. I win?

* I hope.

2 comments:

Vita said...

I know what you mean. Even though it's just a person over the internet, it feels sort of rude. Maybe be everything on the internet is so much more personal now...

Vita said...

*Maybe because. Sorry.

Now I feel like I should add something else & not waste this comment, so: perhaps this was unintentional but you actually got pretty damn philosophical in that last paragraph (sentence?).