Thursday, February 24, 2011

Grease and Theatre Envy

I have very few regrets on my mind regarding the past sixteen (almost seventeen!) years of my life. I feel like that's something to be proud of. Yes, mistakes seem like a huge deal at the time, but five years later, you forget why you cried or that you even did cry. Yet I have to say that one thing I wish I had gotten into when I was younger (haha, I love saying pretentious stuff like that) is theatre.

Every time I see an extraordinary production, I'm always struck with the same jealousy. I'm envious of anyone who gets to be a part of something like that. I know I could look around and try to join something but, at this point, I feel like I've missed the boat. Apart from my one role as Old Sally in a home schooler production of Oliver Twist*, I have no experience.

There was no exception to my envy tonight after I saw Grease at a friend's high school. The show was exceptional and everything seemed to fit perfectly together. The singing and dancing was incredible; the sets and costumes remarkable; and the acting and chemistry was amazing. I smiled the entire time and wished I was up on stage doing the hand jive as well as every other number. With no competition, it was the best high school musical I'd ever seen. I can't stop gushing.

Hannah, darling, if you're reading this, you were absolutely divine. I'm blown away.

I must go to bed before my head hits the keyboard. Farewell, theatre people and non theatre people alike. Know that I am always centre stage with you... in my heart.

*three lines and, honestly, it was a small part. Maybe I'm a small actor for saying that, but it's true. I just wanted to be Oliver. *sigh*

No comments: