Saturday, August 27, 2011

News from my hometown

I don't feel like talking about my life today, but I do feel like procrastinating! So, news:

The college in my town is the first/only in the country to ask about sexual orientation on their application, and if applicants say that they identify as being GBLT, they might get scholarships for it.

Yay? Nay? I can't speak for anyone this would effect, but I don't see the point in another label (in addition to race/whatever else) being part of the college application process, especially when it seems like all the members of the GBLT community really want is acceptance and not really to be singled out even if it is for something positive like diversity/scholarship $$.

There's also the issue of diversity for diversity's sake here. There are 20+ churches in a town with 4o,ooo-ish people, and there's a bible study group at my (public) school. The townsfolk are as conservative as any town in the forward-thinking, nice suburban North would admit to being, and I can't help but thinking this is a ploy to better their reputation/attract any semblance of a gay community.

This isn't to bash the school itself, it's supposedly great for academia/student life and what-have-you (which is a shame considering that, whatever I do with my life, I just want to get the heck out of this general area), and the theater is supposedly haunted. Neat-o.

So, there you go. Vita, I hope where you are doesn't get ravaged by Hurricane Irene; Alex, how goes things in Canada?

No comments: