Sunday, August 21, 2011

what I want to be

If I was normal...* I would be entering my last year of high school next month. It would mean a lot of things that, because of my situation, it doesn't, but most relevant to me is that at some point a few people want to know what I'm doing next year (and for the rest of my life), nosy buggers.

For all of this year, I didn't know, and I'd say that. I guess I had a bit of an idea (that idea being more of the same) but nothing concrete. This summer, it's been slowly coming together.

So here is the great unveiling, my friends, not that it's really been a secret up until now. Actually, this may be a little anticlimactic because, well, I want to do a bit of everything.

I can see this future conversation taking place between myself and, say, a friend's parent who doesn't REALLY care but feels as if they should ask the question all the same.

Ambiguous grown-up: So Alex, what are you planning on doing next year?
Alex: Well, I'm not getting super focused on any one thing. I'm looking into becoming a bike mechanic and I'm still working on my most recent novel, of course. I'm volunteering in a non-profit coffeeshop, if they ever call me back and in the community wherever I'm needed. I keep trying to learn more about vegetable gardening. Oh and I'll probably still be a part time grocery clerk. Also: TRAVEL!!!
AGU: You're not going to be at school?
Alex: Meh, I don't know. Could happen eventually. It might be cool to take an ESL teaching certificate or maybe do the library technician program. We'll see how the rest of it goes.

There you go. Those are my plans for this year: 1.Bicycle mechanics, 2. Novel writing, 3. Travel.

More of the same, really.

*hehehe. That could literally go ANYWHERE.

1 comment:

Vita said...

I dunno, I think that sounds like a pretty cool plan. Take opportunities as they arise and all that.