Saturday, June 26, 2010

Late (Still Wanting Pancakes)

Subject of this post: Will Grayson, Will Grayson-- because it's what cost me sleep. I suppose it's my fault for being obsessive, bingeing on a book the way I have. Good books are like crack that way ("Finished! Hey, it's 6:18 in the morning? Good morning, world! Tralalala... Nevermind that, I wantz me some pancakes! *proceeds to make toaster waffles because is behaving like a very impatient person on crack who, even when not on crack, cannot make decent pancakes*"). Which is good for the authors of books/metaphorical crack addicts such as myself, but consequences suck. Anyway...

1. ahhh second will grayson, why must you write like this. i would have liked you so, so much more if you would have typed like a normal person. i understand it's a clever visual metaphor for depression, the diminutiveness of your presence and disregard for things, but i am a nazi for grammar so i am programed to hate you. but i love you. more than i hate you. i know you exist to drive the message of the book, but i don't care that much. it's a decent message.

2. Ahhh, first Will Grayson. You sound exactly like John Green in my head. Which is to be expected, but I felt the need to point that out. Also, all the offhand remarks about the Chicago area (I get excited when books are set in/mention places I know. I think I'm special for some reason): Very much yes. Especially to Those Of The February Tan. Also also: The Bean/Cloud Gate (advice: don't shape your sculpture like a bean if that's not what you want people to call it...) is a pretty good metaphor for life and how we perceive things--the closer you get to the center the less distorted what you see is, but at the edges everything is warped. And if you move around right, there can be eight of you at once. (I'm pretty sure this was my book-crack mind getting philosophical, but the more I think about it, it makes sense. Some. Not the last bit.) Also also also: I thought you should know that there's a video fountain that makes it look like random people are spitting at you. Which is in no way relevant, but is in practically every way awesome.

3. Ummm... other things. I don't like short lists. I like that Jane is the only John Green-written love interest who is stable and does not require roadtripping/chasing. I love the cover, it is shiny. Tiny Cooper is also the best fictional lyricist in fictional existence.

4. Because I finished this book in a night and have it for 3 weeks (libraries FTW. I've done this for a reason, I will obtain a personal copy at a later date.) I'm going to put a nerdfighter note in it. For someone else to find and for me not to know what they do with it. It seems like fun.

5. If I scrape this empty waterbottle across my desk it sounds exactly like the TARDIS.

6. I am easily amused.

1 comment:

Vita said...

I know what you mean about getting excited when a book/whatever is set near where you live. I was so excited when I found out that the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books were set in a real place Maryland that I actually have connections to, i.e. I've been there many many times. (Not sure why, since I never liked the books that much & there weren't any monuments/etc for me to recognize, but ah well...)

1st Will Grayson was deffo more lovable, possibly because I have a not-so-secret love affair with J-Scribble's writing BUT I'M NOT BIASED (okay yes I am. hush). I still loved the other WG too, though, especially in the latter 2/3 of the book. Agree wiff you on the love interest dealio, as well as that Tiny Cooper = BEST CHARACTER EVER/the one I would most like to be friends with because I feel like he would fill my life with sunshine and rainbows (& not just the gay ones... HAH sorry for being un-PC).

ANYHOO, somehow this comment turned into a talking-about--me fest (as do most things) so TTFN (hahaha).

P.S. I'm not on crack, promise.