Monday, June 28, 2010

Deathly Hallows: The Trailer

Shit man.* I watched the DH trailer at 7 pm, watched the Pottercast coverage of it, watched it again, and then watched the Mugglenet coverage of it. Still not enough discussion for me. Shit why can't my friends be bigger Harry Potter nerds? Plenty of them are fans, a good number of those are big fans, but the vast majority of them do not share my complete and total geek-out over the books and movies. (I don't mean to say that they don't "truly appreciate the books" or anything pretentious like that; it's just that, let's face it, I am the nerdiest one of my close friends. And probably the most obsessed, as in full-out I-follow-Pottercast I-love-Wizard-Rock I-intend-to-go-to-Leakycon-2011 in love with Harry Potter. I apologize to them if they were vying for the title, but: you lose. Thanks for playing.**)

Jesus fucking Christ, I honestly can't articulate my emotions regarding this trailer. I teared up at the very beginning scene in the forest and it still gives me goosebumps even after I've watched it four, five times? Excluding going through it frame-by-frame, haha.

All I know is that I am going to see both films, part 1 and part 2, at their midnight releases. The first one comes out in November so the midnight release will most likely be on a Thursday night/Friday morning and I'll have school the next day, but I seriously don't care. I will willingly forfeit sleep for this movie. THANKFULLY (and I truly mean that; I was so worried), I just looked at the Drama schedule for the fall shows next year and the play closes the week before the release date (November 19th). That would have been hell, to have school and then a dress rehearsal until 10pm or so and then a midnight showing; my homework would not get done at all. Thank goodness for small miracles!

Hopefully you guys aren't the purists who are holding out for the movie and refuse to watch any of the trailers. Props to those people for having the willpower to do so, but personally, I do not want to wait at all. I draw the line at watching shit illegally (for example, I will never ever ever even attempt to watch a leaked version of the film online, especially before it's release date), but my philosophy is basically, if Warner Brothers wants me to see, I will gladly watch it. I'm the type who re-reads and re-watches everything all the time anyway, so seeing something in a trailer will not in any way make me less excited for that scene in the actual movie. If anything, it makes me more psyched.

In case my intense sobbing throughout, like, 2/3 of Deathly Hallows: The Book*** didn't alert me to the fact, I am going to quite literally cry myself an albeit very tiny river during these two films, especially the last one. I know people are already crying because it's "the end," as in "the actual end of the Harry Potter franchise," but I personally am not. Don't get me wrong, I will be devastated when there are no more movies to look forward to, but I'm just going to cry because it's a fucking moving story, dammit. I am proud to admit that I almost cried during the trailer solely because it looks so damn good and so damn sad.

If you've seen it, what do you think? Also, are you going to see it in 3-D or no? According to David Heyman, they're pulling a Pixar and using 3-D as a sort of window to give the film more depth rather than a way to pull punches on the audience. That's reassuring, but all the same, I'm not a huge fan of 3-D. I saw Toy Story 3 in 3-D and it didn't detract from the experience, but all the same I'm not sure it made the film that much better. I suppose I've got five months to think it through and I'm positive it will be a fantastic film either way.

*Every time I say/write "shit man," I pronounce it with Natalie Tran's voice in my head. Australian accents are great.
** That said, I do have friends (mostly from Drama) who are equally as nerdy, but when you get right down to it, I don't see them as often and, as such, I'm not as good friends with them. I'm sorry! They're awesome! Let's change that in the future! <3
*** Haha, sorry, Jo Rowling. I'm not mocking the books, I swear.

1 comment:

Alex said...

First of all, Natalie Tran is awesome and never fails to make me laugh.

Second of all, I saw Toy Story 3 and loved it. Felt the need to say that even though it's not directly related. I didn't see it in 3D. I find 3D somewhat distracting. I don't think I'll see HP (the first time, at least) in 3D simply because it's not the same movie watching experience. It's something else, somehow...

Lastly, no, I'm not a purist. I watch EVERYTHING multiple times. Except I don't think I'll watch scenes if they realize some of those. That's a bit different. I'm so freaking excited. Like... let me count the days... 141 days away. Oh my God. I think that if I think about it too much, I'll combust so I'm going to save myself and pretend my life is normal.