Thursday, April 29, 2010

The frenzy has actually begun (1 day left)

Okay, because I have 1 and 1/8 days left to write 20 pages of script, I am going to kind of cop out and post the most recent pages of my script.

What you need to know here is that Ruben is this awesome, eccentric, drama guy and Margaret is a sassy, generally lovely, nerd girl and they are at Ruben's sister's band's show and they are making a fortune teller/cootie catcher. (don't know what I'm talking about? You sad, depraved child. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_fortune_teller). They are writing the fortune bit of it.

MARGARET

Did you just say moral support? Your sister ruined you as a "real guy".

Margaret uses air quotes around real guy.

RUBEN

I've been saying that for years and now I finally have someone to agree with me. I cannot describe the self righteousness I am currently feeling.

MARGARET

Don't try. Self righteousness is for assholes.

RUBEN

Duly noted: do not be self righteous around Margaret... what's your last name?

MARGARET

Linberg.

RUBEN

Swedish?

MARGARET

Yes, actually.

RUBEN

I love Sweden.

MARGARET

I don't know much about it. Other than my parents hailed from there.

RUBEN

One word: IKEA.

MARGARET

IKEA is pretty sweet. I love their hot dogs.

RUBEN

I love their ice cube trays.

MARGARET

Who knew Ruben was into ice cube trays.

RUBEN

Ruben knew.

MARGARET

Third person, eh?

RUBEN

Ruben cannot believe that Margaret just said eh.

MARGARET

Margaret can't believe this conversation has gone from normal to third person due to one comment about ice cube trays.

RUBEN

Ice cube trays work in strange and mysterious and magical ways. Hence Ruben's liking of them.

MARGARET

Ice cubes trays have been getting the job does since before the ice age.

RUBEN

Much like Bob the Builder.

MARGARET

You're a Bob fan?

RUBEN

He's my hero.

MARGARET

I love his positive attitude.

RUBEN

He has great hair.

Margaret

I don't know what to say to that.

RUBEN

Am I not supposed to admire a children's cartoon show character's hair? Have you met my sister?

MARGARET

The psychic?

RUBEN

She has many other titles. In my heart.

Margaret picks up the pen and starts to write on a corner of the fortune teller. Ruben reads aloud what she writes as she writes it.

RUBEN

"You will make a fortune taking spare change out of unlocked cars and rolling it up."

MARGARET

I won't call it stealing. Call in involuntary, unknowingly done taxation. No one cares anyway and I'm sure they'll make sure to give it back to the poor some way a la Robin Hood.

Margaret offers Ruben the pen which he takes and places its tip close to the paper. He waits.

MARGARET

Inspiration is never going to strike. Just write.

Ruben starts to write and Margaret reads aloud his fortune as he writes.

MARGARET

"You will meet a tall, dark stranger. The stranger is an axe murderer, not the man of your dream, unfortunately. Run away quickly." Nice. Turning cliches on their head. I like it.

RUBEN

I try.

MARGARET

You know, Ruben, you don't have to try to impress me. Just be yourself.

RUBEN

You know, Margaret, you can just shut up.

MARGARET

Well that's a snappy comeback right there. Alert the media.

RUBEN

You're starting to act more and more like my sister.

MARGARET

I happen to like your sister.

RUBEN

You don't live with her.

MARGARET

The truth is, Ruben, I'm not sure I'm ready to take that step with her yet. I haven't even told my parents about our relationship.

RUBEN

Lesbian humour. Great.

MARGARET

I thought this would be a good time to tell you about this, Ruben. I hope you understand. It's not that I'm a different person, I'm still the same person but this is just a part of me.

No comments: