Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wikipedia, Depth, and Religion

God I am so terribly easily distracted. I started this post at 10:35, it's now 10:42 at I've only written 2 sentences. Actually, these are the things I'm going to blabber about. God, distractions, and then I'm going to probably pick apart the sentence structure and grammar and other crazy things. Bah. Onward!*

Current distractions include:

The Internet. As always. So, onto the sub-categories of Internet!:
-- Twitter. Less tweeting than reading the tweets of other people. The more I do this, the more I equate it to stalkerism. If I happen to be(come?) a stalker, I at least hope that I'm a committed stalker...

-- Wikipedia. Proposed solution to Wikipedia's distractingness: Only link to things that have to do more or less with THE ACTUAL SUBJECT OF THE ARTICLE THAT IS BEING VIEWED. Raaaar. I don't know how this would be accomplished, but really, if one happened to be researching Martha Stewart** please don't link to "List of people who have been banned from entering the United Kingdom" because this raises questions. E.g: WHO ELSE? Why? This is an extensive list type entry which thoroughly intrigues me.***

-- TV Tropes. OMG Tv Tropes. Similar to Wikipedia, but with media only. Listing all the plot devices that have been used in anything and everything, ever.****

-- Youtube. Just all of it.

Several books and having to read them (only one of which being school-related, making it thus not a distraction and more an avoidance).

Annnnd it's 11:11 now. *wish wish wish ta-da.*

Abrupt topic shift commence!*****

Religion: Agnosticism is weird. I feel odd to label myself an agnostic, because it's so wishy-washy. Like, one or the other, pick a damn side. "There *might* be a God. . . buuuut there might not." But that's why I am a kind-of agnostic, because I *am* that waffley. Either way it has to be right. So, in a roundabout way, it could be argued that this opinion stems from the perpetual need to lyk always be right omg omg. Because being proved wrong just sucks. Maturity is dealing constructively when other people prove you wrong.****** All I know about religion comes from either: a.) musical theater or b.) things designed to teach small children. And by "religion" I mean basically Christianity. I know the basic plot of other religions but I personally am more affected by that one. Holidays, my community and family and stuff. I am *technically* a Christian. Meaning: Baptized. (I have physically been inside a church 4 times.) Free ticket into Teh Awesum Place in teh Ski*******... should it exist in Christian terms...

A.) The entirety of Jesus Christ Superstar (the musical, strangely the titular song is far from the most awesome.) is just effing catchy. Also in a context that I can understand/that is more interesting than "real" biblical terms. "Guy collects band of general freaks. Freaks FTW. Yay. Authorities do not like. Also, forbidden love subplot. 70s rock-pop songs abound. Sensible semi-freak enlisted in assassination plot. Conflict. Authorities shift blame of killing popular guy. More conflict. Antagonist and protagonist end up dead anyway. One gets better."

Godspell is less biblical and more... hippie-y. Still pretty awesome, if primarily because it is a musical. Also made in the 70s. The genre just lends itself to cheesy goodness. On the whole, I don't think the reality of God matters. It's the hope this idea provides for billions of people, regardless of religion. The band of mismatched hippie freaks are a united and loving community thanks to magic afro-Superman. I think that's a message we can all support. We all need some kind of peace of mind on death and the consequences of our actions and crap, agnostics I guess are okay with any outcome.

Footnotes:

*Onward? Am I going to gallop off on a horse anytime in the near future?
**Whom I only used as an example BECAUSE she was banned in the UK.
***I like having the Internet to blame for my short attention span crossed with chronic procrastination.
****I have graciously provided the link to a grouping called "Crowning Moment of Awesome." Focus on just ONE show you particularly like and you'll still kill quite a bit of time. You're welcome. :)
*****First "onward" and now "commence"?
******And tons of other stuff, but for the sake of my own point I'm not going to acknowledge that. Except in the (increasingly numerous) footnotes I've suckered you into reading.
*******Yus i haev red teh lolcatz bibble a lil bit. Funneh. Hardeer 2 understandz then teh rael ting.

2 comments:

Vita said...

I enjoy being a wishy-washy Agnostic (Agnost? Is there a name for that?). I find it a bit presumptuous for any person on Earth to assume that they can definitively say what controls the universe - God? Science? Something else? Truthfully, nobody knows. I'm open to all possibilities (or at least I try to be). :)

Is musical theatre a religion? I'd be all over that.

I feel like I'm probably going to continue this tradition next time I blog because I can ramble on about this for days (possibly not in a blog tomorrow though. Sorry for the current severe blogging failure on my part. I blame Hell Week).

Renata said...

There should be. Andrew Lloyd Webber iz GOD.