Sunday, October 24, 2010

When life gives you lemons, make them into horcruxes.

Kidding. Jeez, I'm not the type to kill innocent people so I can live forever. That's absurd.

I've gone to this writers' conference for the past three or four years. They have a young writers day that I go to each year and every year I get more out of it, this year being no exception. But I actually volunteered for a change as well as attending so I saw both sides of it and my take away increased tenfold. Needless to say, I am confused.

One of the parts of the conference is the Blue Pencil appointments. This is when you print off your first chapter and a writing professional will read it and give you feedback. I had a fifteen minute appointment with Elizabeth Engstrom, a published American writer, and she gave me a lot to think about. First, she read three pages of my novel while I sat in anticipation. When she finished, she told me I had a great voice, she loved the emotion and it was generally good. She pointed out a couple areas I should focus on but overall she was extremely positive which scared me but I guess it's good to have a published author pump your ego. She also told me that I need to pick one protagonist, which was hard to hear but I think I agree.

Thus my novel is turning into something I don't particularly recognize with every aspect from plot to POV up in the air. Not dividing the story into three anymore makes sense but it's going to need extreme reworking and though I'm excited about the possibilities of that, I'm kind of itching to write a new story.

I think I have a title though. Lemon Squared. I think I like it and it's given me an idea that will add a dimension to my love interest which is good.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something new for NaNoWriMo. Maybe I'll get to the end and never want to look at Ro and Bakery Boy again, or maybe I'll reach December 1st with an urge to finish their story. Either way, I'm going to be happy with it. And I'm getting a major RELAX vibe from Vita so I'm going to attempt to listen to that. NaNo will come and everything will work out and it'll be fantastic no matter how it turns out. And that, I hope, is a promise.

No comments: