Monday, February 8, 2010

Metaphantastic

I was at my writing course last night and it was completely awesome. We talked about metaphors a lot and it gave me this odd urge to go home and write poetry. So I did.
But we also talking about bad metaphors. Cheesy ones that you find in Twilight that make you cringe. Or ones that are so ridiculous you laugh because otherwise you would cry.

And now I shall describe dear Clementine, from my most recent novel, using a host of metaphors and similes, good and bad ;)

Her hair reminded me of Harry Potter, it looked as if the wind had just been ruffling through it as she flew around the Quidditch pitch on a Firebolt. Unlike Harry Potter, her hair was probably like that from lack of confrontations with a comb.
Her personality was ground cinnamon, a surprisingly welcome addition to most dishes but a little unorthodox on it's own. She left you with a burning energy, like a spicy red unknown Jelly Belly.
Her eyes sparkled like one of Stephenie Meyer's vampires in the sunlight and you could hear the fake wind chime special effects when you stared into them for too long.
Her face was so mischievous, like and elf's, but beautiful at the same time, so much so that when you had her full attention you were blinded by it like a flashlight in the face.

Now I'm going to go back into my room and crank out those last school assignments. And only when I am done will you see me again. Or on Thursday. Whichever come first.

Oh and I'm sorry that I invaded your day, Vita. I didn't feel like posting yesterday and you did so it was kind of fortuitous in the end. Happy Monday!

2 comments:

Vita said...

"She left you with a burning energy, like a spicy red unknown Jelly Bell." Mmm... literally burning, then! I think my dad burned his tongue on a hot cinnamon candy once. Euuugh.

Renata said...

My favorite is definitely the cinnamon/Jelly Belly one. It's like, palpable burning, almost the physical taste and sensation of a person, yet still just vague and metaphorical enough.