Saturday, February 20, 2010

Over the Hills & Far Away...

(Or, Someone Please Remind Me Why I Signed Up for ChildLit) (Alternate Subtitle: Beware, For Complaining Abounds...)

What I've done today:

-- Awoken from a headcoldy coma at 8 in the morning when I really would have preferred to sleep until 10ish, as is usual; but today ESPECIALLY because I have a cold and thusly, an excuse for doing so.

-- Got to the library at 10 to observe a story-hour for ChildLit.

-- Sat through and took useless notes on (I forgot the sheet of questions, so they were answers to the questions I THOUGHT were to be answered...) a duck-themed story hour.

-- Really started to wonder why I chose Children's Life/Literature as an elective*

-- Observed the very reasons I do not want to have children. They are not at all like puppies, but do enjoy jumping and screaming and what is generally summarized as creating a level of noise quite intolerable to an anti-morning-person-who-is-just-sick-enough-to-be-tired-and-even-more-intolerant-of-small-and-or-strange-children-jumping-and-or-screaming-and-or-randomly-interjecting "I HAVE AN OWL PUPPET!"**

Who can, in this case be described in a much shorter fashion as RENA.

Do not like. Various cousins I seldom see, fine. But to permanently be around them of my own free will, this is not going to happen. To choose to interact with them as my actual profession is even less likely. Which yet AGAIN begs the question, "Then why in the hell did you CHOOSE to take ChildLit, moron?!"

Answer: Having doubts about this to be honest, logical-yet-cynical-and-angry side of my brain. I've never really been interested in having kids, though. I'm not noticing this just because I was subjected to be around them in the morning whilst I was bear-out-of-hibernation-y. I've always kind of felt this way, if that makes me a heartless child-hating witch, then so it shall be. (Also, see string of necessary situations in previous post. Improbable, to say the least.)

Footnotiness! *If you've read this far, please form an orderly line to receive your cookie*
* My reasoning for this, approx. last summer when courses were selected: I don't want to take cooking or anything even remotely art-related or wood-tech for fear I will slice my thumbs off. Which sounds exaggeratory, but seriously I WOULD. I almost drove a drill into the leg of my pants during Industrial Tech last year. This is a different story.

** When typed, all childrens' dialogue will nearly ALWAYS in be CAPS. OWLLLL PUUUUUPPPET!

3 comments:

Alex said...

Child Lit sounds like an interesting enough elective. I don't blame you for choosing it. So you read picture books and discuss their effects on young minds? Ah, children.

Note to you: my mother claims she did not want to have children all her early life and then she turned thirty and was like: I wantz some kidz. Now she has four.

Renata said...

That, and discuss how nursery rhymes are all violent and sexist and racist and how they will wreck young minds in this age of political correctness. :/

Vita said...

Crappy elective > crappier elective > crappiest elective. Pretty much. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh sucks though, but at least you got to miss school for it! Right? Or no, this was a Saturday... okay that just sucks. But it could be worse, you could be interning at a landfill or something (although the garbage trucks do seem like they'd be sort of fun to ride on, for about 15 minutes)