Tuesday, February 23, 2010

On Toast and Learning

Alex's concept of "unschooling" is interesting. It seems like there's some distinction between, "school that takes place at your house and other assorted locations" and "not-schooling that is somehow schooling".

To me*, "unschooling" makes me think of "learning things the hard way". DO NOT WANT. Hard way that requires personal experience that usually involves sucking, do not want.** But we've mostly been learning this way since we were little kids. Before the advent and application of the dreaded school system. As a personal example, something I learned the hard way that has provided an effective lesson:

TOASTERS GET HOT. DAMN HOT.

Maybe this stems from my love of toast in my younger years, (food and I go waaay back) but one day I decided all my questions of the day*** were to be about toasters. "Why is it orange on the inside?" "How does it know when to pop up?" "How does it turn bread into toast?" "Can I turn a tomato into toast?"**** "How hot does it get inside?"

Ahhh, small Rena. This is not the question with a number for an answer, no, you must learn. Steps of learning:

1. Acquire small stool. (under circumstances of no parental supervision.)
2. Wave hand over toaster.
3. Enjoy warmth. 'Tis rather like having a tiny fireplace. Enjoy smell. 'Tis toastish.
4. Figure it's okay if you just touch it a tiny bit.
5. Experience PAIN. Use reflexes. Insert finger into mouth.
6. Have successfully learned how hot toasters get.

This is how life kind of is before school implements all its useless lessons... Learning basic concepts in various ways, but never totally believing the authorities that provide the (usually correct) answer until it is experienced firsthand.

As for what I learned this week in particular: (or some minor affirmations of things already known...)

-- See points on children + cold + morning in previous post. "The hard way", fo shnizzle.
-- One should never use words ending in "-izzle" outside of Internet.
-- It's handy (and hilarious) to know that "to be stoned" refers to a method of execution, not just "under the influence of marijuana". The reaction of those only familiar with the latter causes teh lulz. (okay, so I learned this *in* school)
-- Real friends are ones that aren't afraid to catch a cold from you, and don't care when they do.
-- It's very easy to get kicked out of a Walgreen's.
-- Oreos are the best cookies in the world.

Footnotes! (why do I feel it necessary to mark this obvious section at the end of the blog?)
* The product of 11 or so years of public schooling
** "The hard way" plus "sucking" makes the mind leap to such sexual references, isn't that sad?
*** The average 4 year old asks 400 questions per day. Did not learn this the hard way (trivia book statistic), but have confirmed it non-mathematically. I have a new respect for the people that put up with my questions.
**** Yeeeaahhh. Toast is good, 'kays? I was around 4. I was a sneaky, curious little twerp, but I turned out just fiiiine. :D

2 comments:

Alex said...

This made me think of learning to read and how I did and the time before I can read which I have no memory about. I cannot remember any time in my life when I could not read and I can't remember the learning process. I do remember Magic Tree House and Harry Potter.

I also remember my younger sister learning to read because I found it a waste of my time when she would ask me how to spell everything.

Example of the various situations:
Maddy: ALEX!!!!
Me: Go away.
Maddy: How do you spell apple?
Me: Sound it out, child. AH-PU-LU-EH.
Maddy: So it's apul?
Me: NO. LISTEN: AH-PUH-LUH-EH.
Maddy: Tell me the letters!
Me: No, you must learn for yourself!
Maddy: TELL ME THE LETTERS OR I WILL SPELL IT WRONG AND MOVE ON!
Me: *sigh* A-P-P-L-E
Maddy: Thank you. That wasn't very hard now, was it?

This is one step up from whenever I had trouble spelling and I'd ask my oldest sister who would tell me to look it up in the dictionary. The problem then was that I couldn't spell it to find it in the dictionary. She'd then close her bedroom door and ignore my pounding on it.

Vita said...

"It's handy (and hilarious) to know that 'to be stoned' refers to a method of execution, not just 'under the influence of marijuana.' The reaction of those only familiar with the latter causes teh lulz."
HAHA very true. Although it would be a good way to avoid death if your executioner wasn't very bright...

Burning your hand on the toaster reminds me of Frankenstein! PS, I finally saw Young Frankstein the other day. SO FUNNY; I love Igor.