Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hank is Real

The car ride was fun but not as fun as the event that proceeded it. We* listened (and sang along) to Hank's first album and then A Very Potter Musical and it was a lot of fun. The person at the border didn't know who Hank Green was and told us that most people who had crossed the border that day were going to Everett for So You Think You Can Dance. I felt like laughing but I didn't because the border is a very serious place and I'm pretty sure giggling is frowned upon. Who would want to see So You Think You Can Dance when you can see Hank?

We got there two hours early and no one else was there. This made some of us slightly nervous. Dinner was eaten at Subway where all the calories of everything (even the napkins) are listed handily on every surface available (including the napkins).
Is it just me or are Americans obsessed with calorie counting?

You know it's weird that when I go to the States, it feels different. It may just be that I know it's a different country and so I think it should feel different, but it totally does. I can't explain the difference exactly, but it is there.

Anyway we went back to the hall an hour later and the lights were on. Success! We got the right place. We went in, sat down--third row--and then became some of the most twitchy people you have ever seen, constantly looking over our shoulders whenever the door opened. We played rock, paper, scissors to pass the time until Hank came up the stairs and started liaising with the sound guy in the back and the only thing that was going through my mind was, "Holy crap, Hank is real!"

The show started eventually and I kept poking my neighbours and saying "Hank is REAL!"

I can't exactly explain what seeing a celebrity is like--and I mean actually being close to them. Whether it's Jensen Ackles, Jason Mraz or HANK GREEN, it's so freaking surreal. I know it may seem silly to get weird around "famous" people but seeing someone in real life that you've only previously seen through a box on YouTube is pretty crazy.

When you finally realize that the person who you watch on your computer every week and whose songs you listen to and whose brother's books you are in love with, is a real, living, breathing person who actually acts the same way he does in front of the camera all the time it's fantastic. Hank is so much more awesome in real life, as if that were possible.

He forgets how to play his songs. He gets nervous. He jumps around like a little girl when he's excited. He's really smart. He's just so real.

Some other stuff that is interesting:

Hank was stuck on a lyric of his song that he couldn't remember, and I told him what it was. (!!!)**

A conversation between me and Hank: (!!!)
Me: *places CD on table*
Hank: *signs CD and reaches for poster* Hi, how are you doing?
Me: *smiles* Good.
Hank: Having fun?
Me: Yes. How's your hand faring?
Hank: It's actually fine. My Sharpie is running out of ink, though.
Me: Oh, that's too bad.
Hank: Yeah. So do you want a picture?
Me: Yeah. *gestures Rachel forward and poses for picture* Now we're closer than is socially acceptable and normal.
Hank: *squeezes tighter*
Me: *smiles ridiculously and realizes that she probably looks stupid but that's okay*
Note that the graphic on Hank's shirt looks like a coconut eating a mountain. This symbolizes the coal mining issue in Hawaii... or something like that.
Snippet of concert:
Hank: Okay, I just want to know how many of you went to the New Moon opening...
Me: *raises hand*
Hank: You don't have to look so ashamed of it.

I'm sure I could try to remember other parts of the show, but I guess it was a 'you had to be there' thing.

So I got an album and a poster and it's signed and I'm very happy. The CD is so amazing, too. I can't seem to pick a favourite song.

I also got to see Molly Lewis who I wasn't expecting but she was awesome, nonetheless. She's incredibly talented.

Hank didn't actually sing as much as I expected him to. Mostly he just talked to us and answered questions. The last song he played was Accio Deathly Hallows and everyone sang along and it was so great.

Would you ever consider video blogging?
I have considered it. And then I tried. And then I stopped considering it because it doesn't feel normal to me. Plus, talking to a camera in my house is difficult because it feels really small when you try. Someone will walk into my room or wherever I am and be like, "Are you talking to yourself?" and I'll be like, *blush* "No." It might be kind of cool and I'd be interested in either or your vlogs, but at the moment, I'm not going to start.

I will go now. dftbA.

*By we I mean the driver, my amazing father; two of my sisters, Rachel and Maddy; and two friends, Brianne and Jina.
**It was Luck of My Life and the line was Sure, that light turned green...

P.S. I also gave Hank a Peeps card which I'm hoping we'll see in his next video. :D

No comments: