Sunday, November 8, 2009

Random has never been so cool

I'm about a hundred and fifty pages into Going Bovine and I think I've found bliss. It's just so good. I'm not surprised, I'm just really happy. Libba Bray makes random cool!

However, reading this book while I attempt to write my pitiful in comparison novel is giving me self esteem issues. While I try not to compare anything to anyone, it's still a little difficult to be like "yeah, my novel kind of sucks right now, but maybe if I just edit it later it might one day sit among the ranks of Going Bovine and Paper Towns". I just don't want it to be the next Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (not that that wasn't a good book, but I don't know... I just want it to be more). Maybe I'm expecting too much of myself. Maybe I should just continue to write and ignore the quality. Maybe...

Lately I've been thinking of what makes some books "chick lit" and what makes some books "edgy and deep". I don't want to throw in heavy issues like suicide and depression just to make the book more serious, but how else am I supposed to do it? How is Paper Towns ridiculously funny while still having deeper meaning and depth? Questions such as these haunt me constantly.

Being a novelist is incredibly fun, but it also makes me really confused. I've started reading books in a different way, trying to look for things I can pick up. I'm especially fascinated by dialog.

I shall stop obsessing now.
***
You know what's great about townhouse complexes? At least six different free internet connections to hack* into. You don't even need to pay for your own internet, just use someone else's.
Come to think of it, my internet at home doesn't have a password and I don't really mind if he neighbours want to use it. Sharing is caring! I'm just too lazy and challenged to set up the connection so it's "secure". Is there anything bad about keeping it open?
I keep getting paranoid that someone can hack into MY computer if I'm connected to their internet. What if it's all a trap? Paranoia will destroya (one of the clever rhymes I picked up from my sister during my childhood).

Favourite YouTuber: I have to copy Rena and say the vlogbrothers. I also like hayleyghoover (she was the one that introduced me to Hank and John), but I don't actually subscribe to a whole lot of channels. I've recently starting watching Dan Brown from Truth or Fail and that's been interesting, but yeah, vlogbrothers.
I find it incredibly awkward when a friend or acquaintance tries to show me something funny on YouTube and it turns out to be a fish song or a video about cats doing crazy stuff. I mean, yes I like cats and yes, I find it funny when they do crazy stuff, but my favourite YouTube videos are John telling the world how Nerdfighters Drop Insults or Hank, like, putting stuff on his head. (Yeah I can't find the link to that one and I'm so absorbed in this blog that I can't look properly) I don't understand how some people can YouTube without the vlogbrothers. It's a scary world.

*Although I don't think it's really hacking if there's no password block on the connection...

No comments: