Monday, November 23, 2009

I Can Haz French?

Whenever I'm feeling bored, or stressed, or nervous, or like I want to block something out of my head (at least momentarily), I start to translate my thoughts into French.

Now, if you're fluent in two languages, I would imagine that you have the ability to think in two different languages. Otherwise, there would be an uncomfortable and/or exciting pause in every conversation with a non-native speaker. However, I am not fluent in French (yet), as my French teacher will gladly tell you. * Therefore, I do not automatically think in French. I often say "pourquoi" instead of "why" and "oui" instead of "yes," but for the most part my French speaking is an almost entirely conscious effort. Which is somewhat of an advantage because it means I have to think about what I'm translating, which effectively blocks other less fun thoughts from my brain! Yay!

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I have a bad habit of overanalyzing everything and dwelling too long on minor incidents. That said, I rarely hold grudges and I don't rage like a squid of anger over tiny things that happened a month ago; it's purely an internal thing (at least, as far as I know. I hope it is...) and generally only over little things that are still, for some reason or another, embarassing for me **. I realize this is a fault of mine, and to avoid exploding into tiny pieces I turn to my handy trick of French thinking. It's quite fun. I'm excellent at translating song lyrics, except I don't know every French word, so there are many instances where I either translate the song lyric literally and/or basically when it would probably be replaced with some other phrase in FOR REALZ French. It's great because I end up getting the partially-correctly-translated French lyric stuck in my head instead of the English one. Songs, they follow my INTERNATIONALLY.

Anyhoo.

Do you have any unusual(ish) habits?

* Although I did manage to raise my grade 4 percentage points in the last week or so of the last quarter and get exactly a 90% in French, which is an A. I felt so proud. ;)

** When I say embarrassing, I don't actually mean that the event itself was embarrassing, but I would direct you back to my comment about overanazlying everything. :O

No comments: