Saturday, November 14, 2009

WTF Moment: The Novelization

Have I told you about my novel yet? No? Has it become apparent yet that I can't think of much else? Should I stop asking rhetorical questions?

Anyway, it's kind of a satire of celebrities who name their kids things like Moxie CrimeFighter and Diva Muffin (I'm serious. I researched this to get some ideas, and those belong to the daughters of Penn Jilette and Frank Zappa respectively. My mom actually considered naming me Diva, thank god not with the middle name Muffin...) Well, not really a satire, just based on the concept that eventually these kids will resent their names and be ridiculed for them; and also that the parents of these kids are *almost* certainly exploiting them for cash.(Miley Cyrus ringing bells here?) Then comes the EPIC REBELLION. So hardly satirical at all. But "satire" makes it sound intentional and professionalish. I couldn't use real names either, so I had quite a bit of fun making up names like February Ceks (...yeah. Sex.) and Dammit ! (middle name being the exclamation point) and DangerPunch Major. Maybe too much fun.

Anyway, these teenagers band together and divorce their parents to form their own island society. Think Lord of the Flies but without the death and religious allusions. No, there's going to be death. Just towards the end, when I need a word stretch. Death scenes increase word count nicely.

So far the plot is so improbable it's funny. Like baaaaaddd reality television. But I'm trying to make it sound intentional. Last sentence: "'Good idea' he said, with a short high laugh and a maniacal twitch in his eye." DangerPunch is about to go on a crazed rampage, but I'm going to build to that until I can figure out the outcome of it. I really want to write a crazed rampage scene and that's the only reason I'm doing it. Like I said, so insane and unrealistic it comes off as comical, but 50k is 50k!

1 comment:

Vita said...

I think that is a FABULOUS idea for a novel. It sounds like it could be hilarious (knowing you, it probably will be). Gahd, I've always felt bad for those kids... it's about time they rebelled. :D