Monday, January 4, 2010

Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them...

I have a question for you. It's not mandatory to answer (is anything ever mandatory?), although I'd be very interested in hearing what you think -

If Hogwarts and that whole wizarding world was real and actually existed in the world, but you were NOT a witch or anything magical (i.e. you were a Muggle), would you want to know that that world really existed?

This popped into my head a few days ago. Initially, I thought, "Well, of course I would..." but upon further reflection I decided that I wouldn't want to know. Lord knows that I would LOVE for it to be real. No joke, if heaven is real, I hope mine includes Hogwarts. * But to have something like that so close yet so far, as they say, would be incredibly difficult to live with. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'd be bitter my whole life about not being a part of it, but I'd most likely be some mix between really sad and really happy - wistful, I suppose. I wouldn't want to have to keep thinking about what could have been and I wouldn't want to have to compare everything in my life to what it would be like if I was a witch... I wouldn't want to be driven crazy by a desperate wish to be involved in a world that I could never truly be involved in. I mean, I wouldn't want magical folk to avoid me (I'd love to be friends with Harry Potter, even if I didn't know he was a wizard) but I wouldn't want them to cast one spell and then walk away forever. (o noez, emooooo)

That said, I'd make an exception if a close friend/boyfriend/family member was a witch/wizard. In that case, I'd definitely want to know. Also, if I encountered that world first-hand, I wouldn't want my memory erased (like whenever a Muggle sees a dragon or whatever in the books, they have people from the Ministry who erase it from their memory), although really, how could you know that that world existed unless you experienced it first-hand? I'm not sure of the logistics of that, but I still stand by my answer.

* Some hard-core Christians would probably see this as sacreligious. Luckily, I'm not religious.

5 comments:

Renata said...

You mean Hogwarts isn't already heaven on (literary... oh darn.) Earth? :P

Vita said...

Oh no, of course it is! But in the literal sense, haha.

Alex said...

I think you're right and I wouldn't want to know. Well okay maybe I would want to know. I mean, I've already accepted that I'm not going to Hogwarts because I'm fifteen so if I found out it was real I don't think I'd be too crushed.

But wouldn't it be so awesome to know that there are really wizards out there? Even if I wasn't included in it, it's still cool.

As you can tell I'm not really sure. Yes and no.

Vita said...

I see what you mean. I agree, it would be fantastic to simply have the knowledge that there is this whole other world. Knowing that Harry Potter was at one point, and possibly is still, real would be mindblowing, in a good way.

It's that, when I'm being honest, I feel like I wouldn't be truly happy with what I've got if I know that there's something else that I want really badly that I could never feasibly have, if that makes sense. Maybe that's a sign that I lack maturity, haha, I dunno. At least when you're ten, you still have a little shred of hope for your eleventh birthday... ;)

Best solution = become friends with a wizard/witch so you can tag along to parties and such.

Astrid said...

Oh ma gah, Vita, you don't know how often I've thought about this!

:O

...It's like we're mentally connected.