Monday, March 15, 2010

education is for the weak

During my thirteen years in the school system, I've come across a lot of reasons to be thankful for school and a lot of reasons to beat it to death with a blunt stick. But what's always pissed me off is how disrespectful some students are to teachers.

Let me make it clear that I KNOW there are some adults who are, frankly speaking, extremely patronizing, extremely condescending, or downright rude to teenagers, for no apparent reason other than that they ARE teenagers. (Okay, we realize that brattiness is one of the attributed characteristics of teenagers, but that doesn't mean all of us are soulless inconsiderate jerkfaces.)

Given that we clearly resent the negative stereotypes, however, it really ought to go both ways. That is, not all adults are the ones as previously described. I'd say that most of my teachers aren't. (I haven't liked all of my teachers, but there's only ever been ONE - out of roughly 35 - that I legitimately wanted fired, and still do, even though it's been four years since I last saw him. And that wasn't because he was condescending towards eleven year olds, it was because he was an actual creepo.) THEREFORE, they do deserve some level of respect, even if it's just for being a teacher in the first place. (Seriously, put yourself in their shoes - I can't even imagine how much patience you must have to have to be a teacher, even a bad one. TOO MANY kids ALL DAY LONG.)

I just hate when you have stupid kids on power trips talking about how much abuse they get from teachers. And by abuse, they mean a teacher tells them off when they're late to class or tells them to stop smoking. OH NO, YOUR LIFE IS SO DIFFICULT.

Okay, I get it, you hate school. But you have to go, so while you're there, can you please try to minimize the amount of complaining you do? Because 85% of it could be resolved if you would just shut the fuck up and realize that your teacher isn't being unfair; they're simply trying to teach. And you won't let them because you think that every little thing you do, every time you wear a hat when you're not supposed to or every time you bring your skateboard to school, is somehow going to change the balance and give you all the power. Or that you're making some sort of statement against authority. In reality, all you're doing is looking like an obnoxious, immature prick, which isn't fun for the rest of us either because it means that we have to sit there and wait for the teacher to finish yelling at you. WASTE OF TIME.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I totally agree. There are those days of our lives when we wish we just didn't want to deal with teachers. But on the othertime, most teachers are the most amazing people on Earth. If they don't like you, they're technically "paid" to still love and help you out. (Also why I could never become a teacher-- I don't have the patience. Also the reason I admire teacheres. Haha) But yeah, we have teachers we want to yell at. but we also have teachers we'd hug until there was no tomorrow. Just depends how you see it-- there's always two sides to life.