Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Story About Uzbekistan

The capital of which is Tashkent. Care to find out how I know that, and will presumably never forget it? Doesn't matter, you ARE.

In sixth grade, there was the "Geo Bee", a series of tests similar to a spelling bee but with geography questions. After 2 rounds of regular quiz-type things (labeling the states, then labeling the 50 countries with the highest populations.) there was the final round, on stage.

I made it to the stage round, and while I was walking to the gym/auditorium a teacher (whom I didn't know at the time taught 8th grade Social Studies and was frankly jokes.) and I had the following conversation:

Mr. H: "Congratulations on making it this far. Are you nervous?"
M: "Not really. Unless they ask me something hard, like what the capital of Russia is."*
Mr. H: "Moscow."
M: "Erhem... right. But what if they ask me something REALLY hard, like what the capital of Uzbekistan is?"
Mr. H: "I don't even know that one... good question."

Shortly after that, on the round where all the answers were capitals, I got this question:

"After the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991, this capital of Uzbekistan was the first city to implement a subway system."**

(I guessed Uzbekistania City.)

I was convinced I was clairvoyant for a while after that. And I was also slightly mad at Mr. H for not knowing. THAT ANSWER was the only thing between me and winning a CHOCOLATE CAKE. (but, the next question I would have gotten regarded the former name of Kosovo or something, so I would've been screwed then...) Why had I picked Uzbekistan anyway? It sounded long and confusing, to make up for the stupidity of not knowing the capital of Russia, but I could have just as well picked Sri Lanka, the capital of which I still don't know.***

I'm remembering this incident because I'm rereading Looking For Alaska and marveling at all the things I didn't understand when I read it the first time, when I was 12. (Shortly after this video.)****

I pretty much exemplify John's point, because having read that when I was 12, I have no scarring to my young, impressionable, unable-to-think-critically brain tissue. Sure I didn't *get* it entirely, but that's not a problem, that's the fun of rereading.

Where was I? Yeah. Uzbekistan. Apparently it's a popular capital to quiz people on, because it's confusing and relatively unknown. The Colonel knows the capital of it too.

Footnotes! (longer than usual, prepare yourself.)

*I could never remember if it was Moscow or St. Petersburg.

**Or something like that. It may have been phrased like a Jeopardy question, and it probably had some unnecessary information, like the subway system. Because that sounds harder than "What's the capital of Uzbekistan?"

***With good reason. I looked it up on Wikipedia, it's "Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte" WTF?

****Back in the old days of vlogbrothers, I was pretty much "The Littlest Nerdfighter". A title I wore proudly. I wanted to read it just because it was deemed controversial and (almost) banned. Banned books have a tendency to be awesome, as evidenced by Vita's post.

*****(after a while I looked up a list of challenged books in the US on Wikipedia, this is my reaction...) Oh COME ON. James and the Giant Peach? The Witches? What, The BFG? *scrolls* No, but, The Giver? WHY? Harry Potter, the Bible, that book about gay penguins, *sigh* fine. Ban/challenge/complain/whine about them if you want, but what is so objectionable about How To Eat Fried Worms? All examples that I read when I was fairly young, and Roald Dahl still kicks ass.

1 comment:

Vita said...

Whatttttttttttt I don't even know where Uzbekistan is. It sounds like some small eastern European country, but the real question is, what language to they speak? Uzbekistanish?

(Google tells me it's actually in Asia, near Afghanistan. There goes my degree in geography)

ANYHOO, I am SO SORRY for your loss of chocolate cake, which is in the category of THE BEST FOODS EVER.