Thursday, May 14, 2009

Answers and Princesses

Before this turns into a strictly question/answer blog I wanted to write something that wasn't an answer to a question so I can reserve some kind of originality. Then I will try to come up with my own interesting question.

Yesterday I was babysitting. Five-year-old boy and two-year-old girl. Joy. Don't get me wrong, I like the kids, but every time the boy sees me, he tells me I look tired. But he doesn't actually tell ME I'm tired, he think I'm my sister and calls me Rachel. "You look tired, Rachel."
Every time he's stated this, I have to hold back from saying, "You know what kid? It's YOU that's making me tired. So go eat your spaghetti. Now!" I try to remember that he's five, and thus not deserving of my wrath (at least not too often), but it's hard.

But he was actually well behaved last night. When we finished watching the movie-Bolt-he ASKED me, if it was bedtime. I nearly fell of the couch from shock.
Anyway we went and got ready for bed, and when it was time for a story I picked a collection of Robert Munsch stories and settled onto the bed. After reading a story about a princess, I was reminded of how much I love Robert Munsch (I hope I'm spelling that right). I don't know if you're familiar with The Paper Bag Princess, but this story is amazing. It's about a girl who is going to marry a prince and then a dragon comes and burns all of her clothes so she is forced to wear a paper bag to go and rescue the prince from the dragon. She finds his lair, and then she tires him out using her intelligence and wit, and proceeds to collect her prince. When she finds him he basically tells her that she looks horrible, despite the fact that she just rescued him from a fiery grave. She turns her back on the idiot ponce, and walks into the sunset, ALONE.

So not only is this princess gorgeous when she has clothes, but she's also quite clever and doesn't take other people's crap. She doesn't have to end up with the ungrateful prince in the end. It's brilliant. I really wish there was more Disney movies that had characters like this princess. For every heroine like Mulan, there's two damsels in distress like Princess Aurora and Snow White. At least there's people out there like Robert, who know how to write about REAL princesses.

And now to the questions (these are from oldest to most recent)

Vita: The apocalypse is coming. How do you want the world to end?

I'd like there to be some irony involved. The end of the world... I guess I'd want it to be relatively painless and quick, so the ironic aspect doesn't work that well. Maybe a meteor should hit. I don't know if I want people to know, because as Rena noted, people will panic. But I think if we knew, say today, people would eventually realize that there was nothing they could do and just come to accept their fate. That's not to say that people would stop trying to blow up the meteor, or whatever, but we would calm down after the initial "OMG! WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!". My apocalypse wish would be that on the last night, December 11th 2012, we could all have a meal "together". I know it seems lame or cliche, but I don't want people to be dying of hunger related diseases the day before the end of the world. At least we'd have one success on the planet before we all perish.

Rena: You're walking along on an abandoned country road when you come to a point where the road splits into two paths; left and right. Which do you choose, and why? Also, even though this really makes it 3 questions, what do you hope to find there?

I, like Vita, would go left. Simply because it's always bugged me that right also means correct (I think this has something to do with the low number of left handed people), and left is just left. So I would take the opposite of right, which is either wrong or left.
At the end of the road, I hope to find a huge surprise party for me, and a cheese panini, because I've been walking a long time and I'm a bit peckish. If it wasn't a surprise party I'd like to find a bunch of happy people. Not just having a good time for the moment, but a group of people who are 100% content with their lives, and are just pleased to be alive at that moment. That's a bit cliche too, but I think walking into utter happiness would be better than a surprise party.

Vita: Regardless of whether you believe in God/another religion/God-like figure or not, what so-called mythical creature/idea/object/person would you like to see brought to life? This can include God him/herself (assuming that God isn't real . . . or if you think he/she is real, then I suppose you could use this as a definitive "yes God is real and I can PROVE IT!" type of wish), Greek gods, dragons, unicorns, good Miley Cyrus songs . . . hehe ;)

This is a toughie. Can I choose a fictional character? Because I would really like to meet Luna Lovegood so she can teach me her weird ways. It would be quite something to learn from the master of oddity. I can't think of much else. I'd like politics and governments to be fair. As for mythical creatures, I don't think I'd bring them about. It would ruin the magic of believing if you knew.

Rena: What do you do when you're sick? (not, like, deathly sick, but just sick enough to get out of going to school.)

Being home schooled, my sick days are pretty similar to my regular days. I go on the computer, I eat, I read, I use up some tissues (if it's a runny nose sort of illness), I read some more, I check my email again, I might play some piano, and that's about all. Not extremely exciting, but hey, being sick sucks. I'd probably wallow a bit. Write in my journal about how crappy I feel. I try not to get bogged down by self-pity, though...
***
On another note I finished Sarah Dessen's new book, Along For the Ride. Wait was that a secret? I don't really care. My mom works in a bookstore and sometimes she brings home advanced reader copies of up-coming releases. So I read Sarah Dessen's book which is being released next month. It was rather enjoyable, and the characters were as fascinating and diverse as usual in SD's books. I think I've prattled long enough. Until Sunday... wait question:
What are the best and worst thing to put on pizza (that people actually do put on pizza) and what is the best dessert after a pizza.

It's not exactly deep or all that interesting, but I am always curious about the pizza habits of others. Also I have an obsession for the food. Maybe one day I will show you my essay on pizza...

2 comments:

Renata said...

I actually have several points to make about your blog: (I could use my blog on Saturday to respond to your blog, but I figure I'll have other things to blog about by then. :) )

I'm left-handed! Yay! I've always liked that I'm opposite from 90-93% of the population!

Robert Munsch (you had the spelling right) is made of win. I still love his books. The Princess kicks butt, and he also wrote a number of other books that taught lessons in a sneaky way while still being good books. For kids' books, that's kinda hard.

Cheese Paninis are also made of win! They get squashed very easily, though, if you make your own. Bricks are not the same as a panini press, but they work!

Vita said...

I have never read the Paper Bag Princess! It sounds like it's made of win, though. I will definitely have to read that. I love children's books; even though they are generally more censored (which I can understand; they are written for *children,* after all) they often seem to be more imaginative than many other books. Maybe it's because children tend to have wildly creative imaginations, I don't know.

I love the word "panini!" I actually made up a little song about paninis to the tune of "Dreidel Dreidal Dreidal." It goes:

Panini, nini, nini,
I made it out of nini
And when it's dry and ready
I will eat my panini

I like to think it is quite beautiful and inspiring.

:O