Monday, May 25, 2009

In Which Things are Compared; Part the First

Twilight Fandom vs Harry Potter Fandom

Harry Potter wins, hands-down. I will explain why in a nice, tidy list for you:

1) Wrock.
I don't know if anybody else saw John Green's video he posted sometime around yesterday/today, but I think it appropriately sums up the State of the Music Union. HP has wrock.
Twilight has ... er, not much. Paramore does not count, because Paramore does not equal Twilight. Yes, Paramore wrote a song for the movie - a song which could easily be describing a variety of relationships aside from Bella/Edward's. Also, Paramore PWNS Twilight. (For the record, I love Paramore, no matter how mainstream they may be, so shut up. ;] Also, I was a fan of Paramore way before I'd ever even heard of Twilight, so basically, Twilighters have no case here.)

2) Harry Potter is a much bigger phenomenon.
I know you shouldn't judge something by how big it is (hehe...) but seriously, it's true. Yes, Twilight is huge among the tween/teenage girl demographic, with a few fans in other places - but Harry Potter is huge among virtually every age group. And both genders. Also, it's been translated into God knows how many languages. Whereas Twilight has not, at least not on as large a scale.

3) Our fandom is less obnoxious.
Oh yes, we have our OOOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGG ITSSSS HARRY POTERRRRRRR OMHGOD CAN I LYK TOUCH HIMMM LMAOOOO BUT SERIOULSSSSSSSSY OMGGODDDD ITSSSS HIMMMMM AAAAAAAAHHHH people. I will not deny that. But, generally speaking, the percentage of such people is relatively small when compared to the many, many such fans on the Twilight side. (I will also admit that there are some intelligent and funny Twilighters. I know because I have seen them and they're actually quite cool. Still . . . those Other Fans kill me.)
When we are insane, which is actually quite often, it is a good type of insane. As in, most of us actually have arguments to back up our points rather than going into Rage-Pout-Ignore-Explode mode.

Rena asks: Do you think video games like Guitar Hero and WiiFit should be used in schools to teach kids how to play instruments and/or promote fitness? Do you think video games are even capable of teaching these things?

I'm going with Alex on this one. WiiFit; yes, to an extent. Guitar Hero; no, not at all.

I'm sorry, but Guitar Hero/Rock Band does NOT teach you how to play an instrument. A piece of plastic is completely different than a piece of plastic that makes music. ;)

I have nothing against said games when they're used for "fun" purposes, but they have no place in, say, a music class. Unless there was a party going on or something. I'm all for parties.

WiiFit is alright. I'm not sure how in shape it actually gets you, but I think it's fine for PE classes when used in moderation. Quite a few kids would get more enthusiastic, at least. I think that Dance Dance Revolution (DDR) should be treated the same way; I believe it's a bit more active, especially when you set it to a more difficult level.

My question:
Do you want to annotate my English homework for me? It's an excerpt from My Antonia, which takes place in NEBRASKA. *excitement excitement*

1 comment:

Alex said...

I'm with you on your analysis of Twilight fandom vs. Harry Potter fandom. I'm not extremely involved in the Harry Potter fandom, but I'm a huge fan of the books.

Since this is part one will you be comparing other things soon? Or will it be strictly Twilight/HP related? Or is it a secret. Oh do tell.