Sunday, May 24, 2009

Singing Peeps

Happy birthday Rena! I hope you are having a wonderful day. I don't really know what else to say. Here is your birthday card:




I bet you weren't expecting THAT! Anyway I didn't have room on the card but I hope you, um, take this Peep's lead and pamper yourself today because you are very special *read crazy* and you deserve your cucumbers. And Peeps.
*
I don't understand why we have to use fear as a motivator. In badminton we usually do some sort of race or competition and the losers are usually subjected to push ups or sit ups or something like that. 
There are two reasons for someone to do something (vague, I know). One is for joy, the other for fear. The first isn't always because you're insanely happy to be doing what you are, but at least it's because you want to. The second is because you're afraid of what happens if you don't do it.

I don't know about you, but I don't think fear as a motivator is the way to go. It's just instilling in our minds that you have to do things, no matter how painful. There's always a choice. Things are much more positive if actions are driven by bliss.

Do you think video games like Guitar Hero and WiiFit should be used in schools to teach kids how to play instruments and/or promote fitness? Do you think video games are even capable of teaching these things?

Interesting question. Personally, I am a fan of both. Actually, I don't think I've ever met a person who is opposed to Wii or Guitar Hero. While I think these games are enjoyable and entertaining, I don't know if I would call them educational. If I separate them, then I would say yes to WiiFit and no to Guitar Hero. 

I think they could be used, and it would work to encourage kids to be physically active/play an instrument (more the physically active one here), but they would have to be used in moderation. I like WiiFit, but when playing it, I've never broken a sweat or really raised my heart rate at all. I think that the BMI and tracking functions are valuable, but I wouldn't exactly call it vigorous activity. 

If it were used in combination with other activities, and as an example for the students it would work swimmingly.

For Rock Band and Guitar Hero, I don't think it really compares to playing "real" instruments. I think it's fun, and it definately stimulates the brain with all that hand-eye coordination, but it's not the same as learning to play the guitar with strings.

This answer has been complicated and contradictory. That's my brain for you.

What do you think of parents coming up with "creative spelling" for names (i.e., "Aleeysha" as opposed to "Alicia," etc)? What about parents inventing their own names (i.e., blending "Ryan" and "Lynn" to create "Rylinn")? Do you find it to be cool, unique, obnoxious, etc., or are you indifferent?

Alternate spellings are acceptable to me. It sets a person apart from all the other Jessicas if theirs is spelt Jessika, or at least, I think so. It has to still be nice looking though. For example I don't think Gessica works. It reminds me of vomit, for some reason.
I think I would prefer if my name was spelt 'Aleksandra', just because it's a little different. 

Alternate spellings can be somewhat irritating though. It would be irritating to have everyone asking you how to pronounce or spell your name all the time. I think it's worth it though.

Blending names however, hardly does any good. Renesme, anyone? If you blended my first and middle names together you would get something like Alayne (which is okay but why not just be Elaine?), or Jalex, or Jaylex, or Alejayne. The results are endless (figuratively speaking).

Adding on to your question, my favourite name for a girl is Indigo, which is unique and shortenable, and pretty.

1 comment:

Vita said...

I know it's not my birthday, but still, I have to say - AWESOME CARD. Peeps, yes, good. :D

HAHA Renesme. No. Just no. It's ... it's worse than Albus Severus.
It also has the negative connotation of being Twilight oriented, whereas Albus Severus has the advantage of being Harry Potter related. So basically, FAIL.