Saturday, May 9, 2009

Sports and the Apocolypse!

I have about the same actual athletic ability as Vita, to a very, very sad degree. But this, I think, enhances my love for sports. The moment of glee I experience when I HIT the ball or do anything that a capable person could do and not even think about is better than even winning the game. Sure, I TRY to fake the ability to play sports, and unfortunately Illinois is one of the only states that still force P.E every single day in public school, so I kind of HAVE to.

My inability however does not at all influence my love for watching other people play sports. Chicago is known throughout the world (okay, maybe not the ENTIRE world...) for having very, very bad sports teams. This also connects your questions....

I would like to pretend that no one would freak out completely knowing that the world was going to end, so the first part of my apocalyptic wish is for people to just CALM DOWN. For one person to calm every compulsive worrier in the world down is pretty much impossible, so that's why I'm leaving it to the hypothetical wish-gods. As December 12th, 2012 progresses like a normal day, the second part of my wish is for the Cubs to WIN THE WORLD SERIES! (simple, I know, but this is what the wish-gods are for. Also, as I think about this, I'm ending the world the way that I personally would like to see it end. Sorry, other people.) Even to non-fans, this would be pretty much the ultimate sign of the apocalypse. I've mostly been talking about the day the world ends, not HOW the world really ends. I just want it to go *poof* and just not exist anymore. The idea of a fiery and prolonged explosion really freaks me out!

Further answering Alex's question, normally I do not like any kind of extreme fanaticism, but in the area of baseball I give in. I blame it on my dad. I was raised this way. I am genetically programmed to LOVE THE CUBS and no other baseball team, for as long as I live. In a way, winning is bypassed and what becomes more important is the atmosphere of the game, knowing that you, you one person, become insignificant and instead you are connected to all of these other people working (not really working as much as rooting, but still) towards a common goal, as cheesearific as that sounds.

It is now my turn to ask a question, so here goes:

You're walking along on an abandoned country road when you come to a point where the road splits into two paths; left and right. Which do you choose, and why? Also, even though this really makes it 3 questions, what do you hope to find there?

As for other sports, I prefer "sports", like professional Scrabble and juggling and gymnastics. They are WAAAAY harder than they look. I have a tremendous amount of respect for these people.

3 comments:

Vita said...

Haha! I completely agree with you about how being bad at sports makes every success, no matter how minor, that much more epic.

I like the idea of the world going "poof" and disappearing. I mean, I don't particularly want the world to end at all, but it'd be much nicer for the world to just cease to exist as opposed to a long, drawn-out nuclear war or the sun burning everything or the atmosphere exploding or whatever else people think will happen. :O

Also, I think Chicago has a slight leg up on the sports suckiness levels. Maryland basically doesn't even have any big-league sports teams ... we're very enthusiastic about our UMD teams and the Orioles and such. But nobody else cares about them, mostly because they don't know about them ... oh noes :O

Alex said...

Isn't Chicago playing Vancouver now in hockey? Are we rivals, Renata? Haha, I'm actually not a Canuck fan. I don't have those little car flags. I did realize that Canucks is an anagram of suckcas n, though, I'm sure that counts for something.

"The moment of glee I experience when I HIT the ball or do anything that a capable person could do and not even think about is better than even winning the game" Hahahahaha. Good writing, very enjoyable.

Renata said...

O yea. Blackhawks PWN! (whaaaat? You're from CANADA, hockey capital of the UNIVERSE, and you don't like HOCKEY? *gasp* Are you sure you're Canadian? You don't even like the FANCY SHMANCY HAM that they have over there!