Thursday, December 31, 2009

Don't worry; be happy.

Let's play a game called 'How Long Does It Take Alex to Write This BLOG?' I'm going to take you through this as I write it [for example I just wrote 'right it' there and then deleted it] and hopefully it might be fun. Watch for the square brackets. Feel free to guess a time in the future, or rather your past or if you want you can just scroll to the bottom of this and check out when I published this. It may ruin the fun but I'm not going to blame you. Can you feel the anticipation? Did you just check? No? Can you hold off until the end? I know I can.

[I'm coming back here to write this paragraph] If you thought I had some sort of brilliant plan for this blog that would be witty and entertaining, you are sorely mistaken. I hate to disappoint, but this is one of those stream of consciousness types of blogs. I haven't prepared an amusing list of things I did in 2009 or plan to do in 2010, not that those are very amusing as a group. I haven't written a song about stupid news stories and I haven't reflected on the year too much, or the coming one. Prepare yourself. [I finished typing this at 5:51pm and then in the next paragraph you are going to do some time travel. That is exciting for you, I'm sure.]

Right now it is 5:42pm. Oh crap now it's 5:43pm. That was one minute right there. I paused and we lost it. We will never get that minute back. It almost brings tears to my eyes. [I have to go research something. Back in the flashiest of flashes.] Just like the 98 minutes I lost to the movie Step Brothers*, I will never get that minute back. That's what New Year's Eve is about, isn't it? The passing of time. To people who live without calendars away from the jaws of civilization it's just another rotation of the earth, but to the "civilized world" it is the turning of calendar pages and the return to a point in the Earth's orbit and even the start of a new decade. But what is it really other than an excuse to party and drink and ride around in a limousine [I had to spell check that] if you are fortunate enough to be in possession of one.

I'm not in a limo. I saw one but that is about as close as I got. [Now I'm going to reflect a little on the year because a lot happened and a lot changed.] How do you start a sentence that has the same meaning and purpose of 'A lot happened this year' without actually writing that incredibly lame sentence?
A Spur of the Moment List of Things from 2009 (specifically pertaining to me)
  • I became a Nerdfighter.
  • I wrote a novel.
  • I co-planned a conference.
  • I rode the subway.
  • I turned 15.
  • I discovered my love of Indian food.
  • [I'm waning. Surely there's more!!]
  • I became an activist (and waved signs at the side of the road).
  • I bought a goat (for a family in Africa).
  • I saw Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince five times in theaters.
  • I stalked Jensen Ackles.
  • I saw Hank Green IRL!!!!
  • I did BEDA and started Raving Persuasions with Rena and Vita.
That's basically everything I did. There was nothing else. Just that. It was a wonderful year, wasn't it?

I think resolutions are stupid. I guess they wouldn't be as stupid if you actually did them, but as it is I think it's just another reason to feel bad about yourself. Having said that I do have a couple things that could be construed as resolutions. My dear mother calls them intentions. Of course there's always Rena's amazing list which I may as well steal: wake up earlier, random acts of kindness, volunteer, be more exciting/confident/daring/amazing/loud/saxophonetastic.

I'm going to be more daring/patient/whimsical/spontaneous and care less about what the world has to say about me. I'm also going to work on my novel and hopefully finish making it beautiful but I'm not putting any time constraint on that. I'm also planning to get a job. There's lots of stuff like that.

Now I'm going to eat Pringles watch Star Trek with my nerdy, Kirk-loving sister.

One last resolution/intention: let's all just be happier, 'kay?

[Well that took a while. It's 6:27pm now. Not too shabby, but we could definitely get quicker. Feel free to laugh at any blatent errors here because I refuse, once more, to proofread. 6:28pm]

1 comment:

Vita said...

Some people haven't yet had the epiphany that Harry Potter is indeed the single most extraordinary thing of their life. We must humor them in the meantime. :)

Your List O' Things is much better than mine. HANK GREEN? STILL JEALOUS.