Saturday, December 12, 2009

More about Christmas

Yay for copying ideas! Even though there will be other posts of mine before the holiday itself, to continue this week's little theme:

*** CHRISTMAS ***

There's really a lot to say about it. Religion, presents, food, traditions, other stuff that makes it basically one big chaotic, dysfunctional, twistedly funny ball of crazy. At least in my family. A general description:

Religion-- Meh. We're not even "Chreesters" (people who go to church only on Christmas and Easter. Word copyright some dead relative of mine.) so why mention it?

Presents-- Ahhh, the whole giving v. receiving thing. I like giving gifts, but mostly I see stuff in like July that I think ____ would love, but I never end up buying it. I get my name stuck on whatever gift my mom buys. As for getting, I can never think of anything I want in advance. I'm content with the element of surprise if it means not making decisions.

FOOD-- The very definition of Christmas! ;) There's a lot of it, and it's fantastic. Even people who can't cook that well (i.e me and my mom) bring stuff. Usually desserts, there's always a TON of cookies and such.

Tradition-- Basis of everything Christmassy. For my bro's sake I still show Santa enthusiasm and get up at 5 am and everything. My dad comes over and it's pretty much like when I was younger, except for our pathetic little tree. So I don't go into my full rant all you need to know is that it's a wooden pole with poorly placed short fake branches. Another (awesomer) tradition is SCRABBLE. Arguments over the spelling of "sautee" ("But there's an ACCENT! It doesn't COUNT."-- 20 minutes later, this resulted in an accent painted on with White-Out...) and whether or not French words/swears/proper nouns are acceptable. After a few glasses of wine, it's quite funny. Being the only sober one improves my chance of winning, too. Expect some quotes in a later post to prove my point. Any conversation gets pretty crazy random... topics ranging from "Hey, are you still a virgin?" *wink wink* *debate* *urging of me to get on Oprah* to tongs for ice cubes.

There ya have it. I'll probably recap this after Christmas...

Weird magazines: I haven't seen/bought any reeeaaallly weird ones, but for vous, Vita, I shall google it.

There's a magazine simply entitled "Sheep!-- The Voice of the Independent Flockmaster" From their (weirdly very large... is there that much to say about sheep?) website: "Sheep magazine explores a wide range of sheep-related topics of interest to sheep growers [wth?] and sheep product marketers at all levels of experience."

1 comment:

Vita said...

Hahaha, your family sounds AMAZING. Good luck with the Scrabble! See, you have an advantage to being sober (besides the fact that you're sober?) because you could probably just make up words and be all, "Oh yeah, this is totes a vocabulary word for English! It means 'to beat!'" and they'd probably believe you.

"Flockmaster" sounds like something I want to be when I grow up. How awesome would that be in conversation? "Hey, what are you doing today?" "Oh, not much, just flockmasting." *sighs contentedly*