Thursday, July 9, 2009

Airplane diaries

Anyway I wrote this yesterday and now I'm in downtown Toronto sitting in the lobby of a very posh hotel. This conference stuff is so awesome but I don't have a lot of time, which is why I wrote this yesterday.


I am on an airplane. Yay. I've always wanted to be one of those cool and somewhat important looking people who bring their laptops with them on the plane and do "official business". Now I am cool like that.

The only thing about things you've always wanted to do because they look so awesome is that when you actually do it, you feel like a poseur. Also I feel like someone is looking over my shoulder and reading this.

It's not like I don't want people to read the blog, it's just that when you're writing it's very subjective and at this moment in time I don't know that what I'm actually writing is actually going to be in my real blog post. I could delete this entire paragraph. I probably won't, but regardless.

I don't even think I can mention what I am half watching at the moment. To say it out loud, or write it down would be to make it final and true. We were watching I Love You, Man, but that movie is incredibly vulgar . I'm not sure what I'm watching now is better, but it's an experience.

Harry Potter comes out in one week. It has got me thinking about looking forward to things and having expectations. The main thing: is it better to look forward to things and then possibly be disappointed or be sceptical about everything and possibly be pleased with the outcome?

For instance before the Twilight movie I was a complete Rob fan. I was so positive that he would be great, and when I saw him it was terrible. But would it have been less terrible to have thought he'd suck and turn out right?

I'm really excited about Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I've seen every trailer and clip and I think it's going to be the best one yet. It looks funny and the actors are getting better and I'm really looking forward to it. But what if it doesn't live up? Is it best to go into the theatre with no expectations?

Even if it were best, I don't think I could do it. Not being excited for things would take all the excitement out of life. Who wants that?

Anyway I guess if it's bad (which I really don't think it's going to be, although I've been wrong--see above) I'll just have to get over it and hope they do better on the next one. What do you think?


Question: do you like planes? Explain answer.

2 comments:

Vita said...

Harry Potter-wise, I think that as long as you don't expect it to be exactly like the books, you'll be okay. I really, really think that it will be excellent, though. I don't love it as much as the books, but from all the trailers and stuff, it looks AWESOME. I've yet to be disappointed in the movies OR the books, really. :)

By the way, there is a very slight chance that I will not be able to blog tomorrow. I PROBABLY will, but just in case I don't - I'm not dead (hopefully).

Renata said...

Good question. If you try to expect it to be as good as any movie-based-on-a-book comparitively is to the REAL book-- which is ususally good, but not AS good-- it will live up to your expectations, maybe even leave you slightly impressed. (but not "WOW never saw that coming!" type impressed.)

No, I don't think you should expect it to suck, that's a bit pessimistic, don'tcha think? Especially if you don't normally think that way. If that's your real opinion, fine, but if you're thinking that way just to not be disappointed, you probably shouldn't.

Have you even been disappointed by a HP movie? What would cause you to lose faith in the awesome moviemaking abilities of the book/movie converter people?