Saturday, July 18, 2009

Naming Filler.

I just realized the wording of that sounds like I am going TO name this filler. Alright. I hereby name this filler Oliver. Oliver the Filler blog post. That sounds quite nice. Ok, so this is just more filler. I thought it was mildly interesting, and nothing has happpened in my life worth noting. (I STILL have not seen HBP yet! RARRRRGGHHH! *iz jeluz* So --without spoilers-- answer in one word: WAS IT GOOD? (almost typed "Was it GOD?" Oh typos. Thou never ceases to amuse.)

But, a featured article on MSN today was "Most popular baby names by decade" showing, you guessed it, a website with the top 1000 baby names for every decade since 1879. There's an option to search by name, so I did. I'm pretty certain I have an "uncommon" name, so I was intrigued. "Renata" (my given name) only made the top 1000 4 times over 130 years. In 1964, then a nothing until 1979, and then 3 years straight until 1981. The highest it got was rank #336 in 1980. Yay weird name!

Even stranger, "Rena" (my partial name made up for supreme anangramming possibilities) has made the top 1000 EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. from 1880 to 1989. Wow. (Maybe people just like shorter names? Vita and Alex are only 2 syllables.) Peaking at rank #153 in 1885. I didn't realize my invented nickname was so old fashioned. Whatever. It's nice.
Oh, I did both of your names too. Didn't want to leave you out of all the fillery fun!

Alexandra: #945 in 1915, then N/A until 1938 (wonder what brought it back in "style"?) Highest in 1994 at #27. (I know these results are for America, but that's interesting to me because that's the year you were born, right?)

Vita: (more popular than you'd think, really.) Every year from 1912 until 1930, then a surprise appearance in 1932 and 1935. Highest in 1929 at #796.

Ok. End filler mode. Commence meaningful blog posts that inspire thought and many comments. (the record stands a 5 for a single blog. In case you really wanted to know. You probably didn't. But now you do anyway.)

3 comments:

Vita said...

Is HP good? From what I've seen, HOLY CRAP YES.

That's funny about the names. I know my parents chose shorter names for my sister and I because our last name is fairly long and *looks* ridiculously complicated. I think it's kind of funny how all our names were more popular in the past... I guess we're just old-fashioned like that. Ha? Ha. :D

Alex said...

1994 is the year I was born in and that is indeed interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about being 27 on the list. I wonder what number I am now...

How is it you've managed to avoid HP until now? I would have thought it impossible.

What an awesome movie. Seriously, SO GREAT. There were flaws, but overall the good things outnumbered the bad.

Renata said...

Avoid??? AVOID?!?! This is not by choice, my friend. I NEED to see it. I just HAVE NOT YET.

JDKRFIEJDMMDOEITKD! *headdesk* Rawr. Because my friend who is arguably more into the whole fandom of HP WILL NOT go the first week ANY movie is out. Yet she HAS to go with a group, including me. (Things like this are more fun in groups, really.) We put up with her because she puts up with us. The suspense mounts. I WILL EVENTUALLY see it, though.