Friday, July 31, 2009

a brief sorting hat reprise

Do you like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore?
I know that there is a lot of negative energy directed at Michael Gambon, but I actually like him. Is he Dumbledore to me? No, not really. But Richard Harris wasn't Dumbledore to me, either. Don't get me wrong, I loved Richard Harris, and I think he would have done a fine job in the movies, but he didn't strike me as - well - Dumbledore. I believe that the best way to get a good movie translation of Dumbledore would be to morph Gambon and Harris together. See, I always think of Dumbledore (the "real" book version) as a very kind, very intelligent old (but still functional) man with a wonderful subtle sense of humor - an optimist, really. But he's also very powerful and can be very strong when it's needed of him. Harris did a pretty good job of meeting the first list of requirements, but I have a difficult time imagining him as the bad-ass Dumbledore in Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince. Gambon is awesome as the second list (powerful and strong), and he's actually quite funny (in a similar way to Dumbledore, except a bit more sarcastic). However, his Dumbledore doesn't strike me as trusting and good-hearted as the 'real' Dumbledore (hello, crazed shaking of Harry during Goblet of Fire). Gambon is a good actor, but he's not quite Dumbledore (although he did a mad good job in HP6 during the cave and Tower scene). I truly believe that Dumbledore is one of the most difficult characters to play because he's so conflicted, so much more complicated than some people realize. He's a wonderful, kind, loving, powerful, brilliant person, but he's also made some pretty huge mistakes in his past that have quite literally haunted him for his entire life. Besides, he's pretty much my favorite character in the books (and that's saying something, trust me), so no one could ever really meet my expectations. :)

A few weeks ago, I blogged about taking an online Sorting Hat quiz, which sorted me into Hufflepuff (twice). However, the more I think about it, the more I think I belong in Ravenclaw. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a genius, but I feel that I'm reasonably intelligent. I do pretty well in school without tons of effort (except math, but that is a different story). More importantly, though, I really do have a fascination with knowing stuff. Not necessarily in the scientist sense, but - I guess you could call me highly curious, more in the philisophical sense. Besides, I think that being a Ravenclaw doesn't just mean that you do well in classes or think out of textbooks; Luna Lovegood is a true Ravenclaw, and she has a very unconventional way of thinking (I do think she's smart, though). I value friendship, family, fairness, and loyalty, but I'm not as much of a people person as Hufflepuffs seem to be; I like people, but I also like to be alone sometimes. I believe that each of the four Houses display most of the traits, but some are more dominant in one house over another - it's possible to be really close to your House without having friendship as your main "label." Also, the Ravenclaw Tower seems much more appealing than a partially underground Hufflepuff 'cave,' as far as I'm concerned. I don't know, I simply feel like I would be happier in Ravenclaw than Hufflepuff, so I'm officially (or as officially as you can do in the Muggle world) switching from Hufflepuff to Ravenclaw. I think that Ravenpuff would be a more accurate House for me, though. ;)

Question: If you could have one superpower and/or magical power, what would it be? You can draw from the Harry Potter series, or other fantasy series, if you want, but don't just say "magic..." it has to be more specific than that, sorry. :)

5 comments:

Alex said...

Good explanation of the Dumbledore conundrum. I asked because Michael Gambon really gets on my nerves and I'm looking for some new perspective. I see what you're saying and mostly agree.

Horray for the awesomeness of Ravenclaw!!!

I'm always upset when Ravenclaws are portrayed as snobbish know-it-alls but at least we have Luna as a figure-head.

I would love to have a friend like Luna and I wouldn't mind sharing a dormitory with you, either, Vita.

Vita said...

Ravenclaw pwns! I don't know if you already said which house you were in earlier... I think you might have... but I definitely imagined you as a Ravenclaw. Now all we have to do is lure Rena over from the dark side (Slytherin)... haha, I'm a fan of Slytherin too, though. Just not Malfoy. :P

Oh, Luna is one of my favorite characters. She's brilliant. I would love to meet her. And yeah, us sharing a dormitory = CRAZY FUN ;)

Some of us are big-headed, but so are some members of the other houses, even HUFFLEPUFF (Zacharias Smith, right?). I like to think that most of us are rather lovely people :)

Renata said...

Yea, Vita, I was about to get all "You're mad you're in HUFFLEPUFF? Apparently the tests think I'm some kind of insanely evil evil genius!!!!! GRBLAHGGGGHHH!!!" on you. Really the only reason I think the tests think I'm a Slytherin (smart and "evil") as opposed to a Ravenclaw (smart and awesome) is because I tend to "think around" things to try to bend and/or break (teehee >.>) as many rules as possible just to see if I CAN.

Yea, if I could transfer houses I would, then it would be us 3 + Luna Lovegood= CRAZY CRAZY AWESOME FUN!!!!

Vita said...

AHH AWESOME.
Nah, I love Slytherin. Snape + Slughorn are both in Slytherin, and even Draco wasn't really *evil.*

Hah, I'm not mad I got Hufflepuff... it makes sense for the answers I gave on the test, but I never really felt the Hufflevibe. I think the internet missorted me ;) But I'd take any house if it meant I got to go to Hogwarts for reals (though I'd wish for Ravenclaw...) :D

Vita said...

In case anyone cares, I just took the (really long) test again and it put me in Ravenclaw with 92 points, Gryffindor with 76 points, Slytherin with 63 points, and Hufflepuff with 61 points. What gives? I think I put more emphasis than was honest on the people-person part the first time I took the test, which is why it put me in Hufflepuff... I'm kind of flattered that it thought I could *maybe* be in Gryffindor, but I stand by Hufflepuff as an honest second choice. Maybe I'll take it again sometime and see if I get Slytherin ^^