Friday, July 3, 2009

no, i'm not on drugs (really)

Occasionally I have these weird, brief moments where I suddenly feel as though I'm in a dream. It's a bit like the sensation you get when you stand up too fast and all the blood rushes to your head, except I don't feel faint, I just feel slightly misplaced. Everybody's conversations are slightly echoey, but I can still understand them; I feel a bit unsteady, but I can still walk; and I momentarily can't quite grasp the concept of reality.
Apparently my best friend experiences these too, and I'm wondering if you guys know what I'm talking about? It's weird.

Naturally, this leads me to wonder how I would know if I was living in a dream. Everything certainly seems real, and I don't think my imagination is expansive enough to think of, well, everything all on its own, but how do I know that I'm not really locked up in a padded room right now, muttering to myself? If we were living in the Matrix, how would we know? Seriously.

Now, on to Starbucks...
Yes! I do go there fairly regularly. I know, I know, there's all this business about supporting local coffee shops and such, but it really does taste good. However, I love Caribou Coffee more (I don't know if you guys have heard of it; I'm not sure how big the chain is... I think it's pretty big, though). It tastes even better than Starbucks. Still, the closest CC to me is a stand in a mall, and I don't really feel like going to the mall just to drink coffee, so... I go to Starbucks. :)
My favorite (hot) drink is definitely a (tall) café mocha. Yum. My favorite cold drink is probably an... iced café mocha! Because I'm so daring and spontaneous! But I am also a fan of frappachinos; I also love vanilla bean, and I love strawberries and cream for the first half of it (and then I start to get sick of it). I am working on expanding my Starbucks horizons, though, so I'm planning on ordering something new the next time I go there.
Wow, that was an unnecessarily long response. Also, I'm pretty sure I misspelled "unnecessarily," but I don't feel like checking that. Oh well.

I was going to ask you the generic question of what you're doing for July 4th, but then I realized that you, Alex, most likely do not celebrate it! :D So instead, I ask: What is the best unconventional way to eavesdrop on a conversation?

(I'm not using your answers for my own use, by the way... I'm just curious. No, really.)

3 comments:

Renata said...

I think what you're talking about is a type of out-of-body experience? Happens to me sometimes too. It's weird. Like the ending part of a dream riiiight before you wake up? When you know that you WERE dreaming, but haven't stopped? And yea, I also think occasionally that we're all living in a dream and then we'll all wake up or something a la Wizard of Oz to find WE ARE the only person existing in our own separate worlds wherein everyone ELSE in an illusion...

And then I snap out of it and continue living, within a dream or not.

Alex said...

I don't think I've ever experienced what you're explaining.

I do blank out sometimes in a conversation and miss what other people say for a few moments, but that's more because of a wandering mind, I think.

I've tried to expand my Starbucks horizon before. Had some pretty interesting (gross) drinks that way. So don't be too surprised if you end up right back at your cafe mocha (I should try on of those, btw).

You're right, I don't really celebrate Independence Day. but then again, I didn't really celebrate Canada Day either. I went to an event, but I was a volunteer and I didn't eat any cake. Also, I missed the fireworks. Oh well, there's always next year. Happy fireworks to you two!

Oh and if you're still curious about how I celebrated the forth of July today (is fourth CAPITALIZED?) I read the Independence Day Wikipedia page. Fun.

What do normal Americans (or the closed thing to them) do on today?

Vita said...

Oh, you know, we do the American thing and eat.
Haha.
At least where I live, fireworks are an effing huge deal, and if you don't go see the fireworks, you better have a good excuse or you are basically UNAMERICAN. Which is ironic because generally the good people of (the city where I live) drag themselves out for celebratory occasions only if a) they have small children or b) they must.
Other than that... parties, BBQs (I forget how you spell the actual thing), picnics... stuff like that. :D