Thursday, July 30, 2009

Speed (life, typing and physical)

Summer is speeding by me. Life is speeding by. Being a philosophical person, I often wonder about things like time and I'm always so confused. Why is it that sometimes, it feels like everything happens so fast and others it feels like the clock ticks painfully slow? Usually the clock is slower when you're at the dentist or in a waiting room of any kind.

Who ever said that time flies when you're having fun? Does that also work in reverse that when you're bored it goes slow? Or when you're bored, does the time go by at a regular speed of 60 seconds per minute.

I got back from vampire land with no visible changes in speed, strength or sparkling ability. *phew* Who wants to be a vampire, anyway? I ended up witnessing a dog giving birth, and though some may call it the Miracle of Life, I would more relate it to a dog pooping out rat-like puppies. I don't really appreciate life any more, and I haven't exhibited any signs of spiritual enlightenment, but I am a little wearier of giving birth myself. But let's not think about that now.

Q: Do you prefer typing or writing by hand in terms of a) speed, b) comfort and c) style?

A: a) I like the speed of typing. I can type nearly as fast as I can talk, so it's nice to be able to write at a fairly quick speed.
b) I'm not used to handwriting and printing for long amounts of time. Tests and essay questions are something I've never had to write by hand. I think this is one of the reasons that writing, even for short amounts of time, gives me hand cramps. Also I hold the pen too hard because I'm a recovering perfectionist and I like all my letters to look uniform and neat. Which leads to
c) prettiness. Depending on the document, I usually like a nice, hand-printed page. I think letters and notes and lists are a lot more personal and lovely when they are hand written. As I said, I am a perfectionist, and I like things to be neat and orderly. It can take me a long time to write a letter because I like it to look pretty. Typing is useful because no matter how quick or sloppy you do it, you can always go back and correct your errors. White-out can only do so much. For everything else, there's MS Word.

When I'm journalling I write extremely fast, because my brain works like that, and so my writing is more of a scrawl than anything. That's okay for my journal, because I'm the only one that sees it. For other things I'm more of a stickler.

I saw Harry Potter for the forth time last night *gasp*. Yeah, I'm that cool.

Q: What's your feeling on Michael Gambon as Dumbledore? (I, myself, am not a fan, but I think I'll do a Harry Potter blog on Sunday. Although now that I think of it, I may not have Internet access, because, believe it or not, I am going away AGAIN. I'll see what I can do.)

Happy long weekend to all!

3 comments:

Vita said...

I agree about typing. For me, my handwriting is good only about 25% of the time (I type everything except for in-class essays and the like; most of my writing is for taking notes, and that never goes well, neatness-wise). But like you said, I do think that handwritten notes are much more personal and possibly prettier than a typed paper (alliteration!)

The Miracle of Life freaks me out, tbh. What, you have this little thing festering inside you for 9 months, and then PAIN. And then very little sleep and time alone for the next 18 years. Yeah, no.

Alex said...

excuse me for sounding impertinent, but 'tbh'?

Vita said...

To be honest.

Lolz I almozt chatt speekd sry.