Saturday, August 1, 2009

I am reduced to moaning about the weather...

'Nother "retro" blog!!! Yay. Anyone else besides me remember early April where all I would do was complain about the stupid weather? I did. A LOT. I think I will continue this little retro thing. Because during BEDA I would just blog about whatever was going on in my life on that particular day and not about any "topics" that contain anything interesting. I didn't even have to respond to any other blogs. Not that I DON'T like this arrangement; and I DO think I'm getting better at blogging, but my early blogs required much less work. I like them for that.

BUT ANYWAY!

Yesterday, there was an article in the newspaper about the average temperatures for July. On average: 69.4 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT!!! Brrrrrr... I mean, usually it is BLAZING HOT here in summer. The hottest day was July 6th, it got up to a scorching 85. This is nothing. We're used to at least 90 degrees, even higher heat index... and it's one thing I like about Chicago. The weather makes you tough. 60 degrees in March is a FANTASTIC day.

Questions!
Alex: What's your feeling on Michael Gambon as Dumbledore?

I'll have to agree with Vita and say that they both have their moments, each capturing some of the complexities of Dumbledore, but neither of them gets him just completely right... which makes him more awesome. He's hard to capture, because as Vita pointed out, he IS really conflicted. But no more than any other person, I think. We're all pretty complicated people. 3-D, as they say. Which makes the fact that anyone can take words and create this REAL, multi-faceted person kind of amazing.

Really, I don't think ANY actor could portray EVERYONE'S idea of Dumbledore, mainly because he's a character in a book, and we've all had a chance to form our versions of him totally non-visually. This happens with almost every book-turned movie. Everyone has all the characters perfectly IN THEIR HEAD, so we're all bound to be at least a little disappointed by the movie portrayals.

Vita: If you could have one superpower and/or magical power, what would it be?

I used to think about this a lot as a kid, and I always imagined this huge bin of all the crazy awesome powers. Like a bottomless cardboard box. Every superpower that had ever been invented. I decided I'd take all the "reject" powers as long as I could have like 50 of them. Like, the ability to make toast with my eyes and grow my fingernails at will and be a human spellcheck. All the ones nobody wants, as long as I could have ALL of them. But, if I had to choose one BIG one, I'd choose invisibility. Before you get all psychoanalyst on me and say that's because I'm insecure and want to be invisible in social situations and blah, no. I want this power mostly for snooping and observing purposes. Just too see people when they think they're alone. Not to like, mess with their heads and pull pranks and stuff, (well, only occasionally... teehee...) but to see how every one's unedited, alone, uncensored self is compared to how they act in public.

I'm not accusing anyone of living some sort of secret double-life or something, but we all do it. It's kind of human nature to change how we act based on who we're around, or even if there's anyone there at all. Just slight changes. Not in a bad way; I think it's almost a survival thing. Like, if all the cave people had acted the same around some rival tribe with huge weapons as they had their cave children, humanity would kind of be extinct by now.

Wow, that was ramble-ish. Does that make sense to anyone but me?

Or a less confusing answer is I want to be able to be in more than one place at once. This would really come in handy. (Fully visible, of course)

My question: What is your single favorite word in the English language? (can be total nonsense, fun word to say, or something meaningful. or both.)

1 comment:

Vita said...

I deff agree with you about Dumbledore. He's hard to capture, but then, most beloved characters are. I guess at some point, you just kind of have to take what you can get. :)

Haha, the weather... always an accepted topic of conversation ;)