Saturday, August 8, 2009

Smartyness Pyramid

Vita's footnote in her blog gave me the idea to describe the little pyramid of levels of advanced-ness in my school district, because it's kind of complicated but more because I'm tired and lazy and sunburned.

Elementary school: Either "on-level" regular classes, or REACH*

Middle school: ESL/"guided" classes, on-level, or more REACH

High school: "Key Points" classes, on-level, "fast track" math for the "frosh"**, Honors, then starting juinor year official AP classes for college credit.

Confused? All will be explained in the footnotes... *skip there if you wish to read the rest of my blog un-confoozed*

Question: Imagining that you'd be successful and make at least enough money to live, what would be your dream career?

Is being filthy stinkin' rich considered a career? No? How bout MARRYING something filthy stinkin' rich? (Who is also my soulmate with a great personality, and heck, good looks on top of that wouldn't be so bad... ;) )
Okay, seriously, (since John and Maureen make it seem so fun) and since the question says I would at least be good at it and moderately rich, being a YA author would be pretty cool. Or, should I wish to fulfill my childhood dreams, a mermaid/pastry chef/detective/dog trainer/actress.

My question: What was your first thought when you got up this morning?

* REACH doesn't stand for anything, it's just supposed to mean we should REACH for the sky, REACH our goals, similar cliches... and it was only for math and reading. Just 15 minute little classes during the regular school day. Usually during recess. RECESS! AND the classroom had a huge window that faced the playground!!!! >:C TOR-TURE. At least the teacher was super nice.

** Ok, I'm in this, and even I don't get this: This year the "fast track" classes don't COUNT for real honors credit, but if we CONTINUE on that track, NEXT year THAT class will count as honors. As far as I know this only applies to a certain frosh math class that I happen to be in. This is probably explained in the course catalog, I might have to read that more...

3 comments:

Renata said...

Just realized I typed "something filthy stinkin' rich" instead of "someone". Oh well. I would marry the Eiffel Tower if it would leave me a good inheritance. ;)

Alex said...

I didn't notice that...

My mom just read a book (and consequently explained it to me) about the most successful people in the world and how much of that is related to talent vs. circumstances.

Very interesting stuff, but I'll just note that things like these "fast tracks" can be what makes a different in the lives of people.

Vita said...

Oh, that reminds me... I forgot to say that my school also has AP classes, of course. :)

I guess Alex is right about "fast track" but those types of programs usually seem quite pointless when you're in them. Oh well, hopefully it'll all be worth it in the end. :)