Thursday, August 13, 2009

Let's start a book club!

I think we should have a book club. Everyone can suggest a book and then we'll read them one at a time and then we;ll discuss them via blog. I think it's brilliant. What do you think?

I'm in a book club right now. My sister started it for the summer and I've been away a lot and thus unable to attend meetings. This last Monday was the first one I was able to go to. The book for discussion: Mansfield Park by Jane Austen.

Did I mention it was a Jane Austen book club? Well, now you know.

How do you both feel about Jane Austen? Read any of her novels? Seen the movies? How do you feel about her work?

In case you don't know the story, I'll summarize a little:

Mansfield Park is based on the children of three sisters. One sister married quite favourably; one married satisfactorily; and one married poorly. The protagonist of the novel is the eldest daughter of the poorest sister, Fanny Price, who is sent, at age 10, from her impoverished home to live with her richest aunt along with her uncle and cousins. Her aunt's family are never really kind to her, and don't treat her as an equal, with the exception of her cousin, Edmund. They don't give her the same education, they don't give her the same privileges, basically they just ignore her and treat her as an inferior. Is anyone getting Jane Eyre de ja vu?

The main part of the book takes place when Fanny is eighteen and her cousins are out at balls and entertaining potential husbands, and she is sitting at home with her lazy aunt.

Anyway, once I got past the plainness and obedience of Fanny's character, I actually liked the book. It was rife with discussion topics.

I love books. I love words.

I wanted to let you know that I watched A Very Potter Musical. One of you suggested this. I loved it. All the actors were amazing and I can't get the songs out of my head. If you haven't watched it yet, you must.

Some questions I've somehow failed to answer:

Q: What is the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?
A: Froot Loops. Ew, gross. Who's idea was it to serve coloured cardboard to children who are susceptible to bright colours and toucans? (not a very creative answer, I know, but I can't think of anything)

Q: What is your favourite childhood book?
A: The only books I really remember reading as a kid were Dr. Seuss, Robert Munsch (PAPER BAG PRINCESS FTW!) and the Magic Tree House. I idolized Jack and Mary and their many bold adventures into different lands. Then one day, I realized the words were really big and the fact that it took me half an hour to read them and I dropped the series. I wonder if it's over yet...

Q: What is your single favourite English word?
A: At the moment, I have to say it's 'indeed'. Indeed, I do like to use that word. Of course, these things change daily. Check back later.

Q: If you could have a magical power, what would it be?
A: I firmly stick to my desire to be able to move things with my mind. The negative side of this would be that I could get extremely lazy and stop fetching anything, and simply have it zoom towards me. Whatever. If I could move things with my mind, in theory, I'd be able to fly!! Imagine that.

Reminder: Answer the Jane Austen question above? (have you read her? why or why not... yada yada.)

5 comments:

Vita said...

I think it's a good idea. You'd have to give me a few weeks, though; right now the last thing I need is yet another reason to procrastinate. If Rena wants to do it, would you mind starting around the beginning of September? Once school starts I'll be able to get back in the routine of things and I'll be able to add reading a book into my schedule (I say schedule, but it's really not that formal). I mean, I don't have to schedule reading books (that would be awful) but if you want me to be able to read it in any sort of timely manner or at regular intervals then yeah, right now is not the best time for me to start.

Okay, short answer: I am a fan of the idea, but can we postpone it a week or three (or longer, if you guys need to...)? I'm definitely up for doing it, though. :)

Also, The Magic Treehouse was AWESOME.

Renata said...

I'm with Vita. It's a great idea, but starting it so close to school starting really wouldn't work for me. I definitely want to do it, though!

OMGZ MAGIC TREEHOUSE! Yay! I loved those books. However, I think you mean Jack and Annie. Mary Pope Osborne wrote the series. Is still writing, actually. The 42nd one was released in late July. Wikipedia lists them up to the 44th one, coming out in January 2012 apparently.

I remember reading them faithfully up until the 28th, then they started this "Merlin Mission" junk.

Alex said...

Jack and Annie sounds much more familiar than Jack and Mary... hahaha

44? Wow, wouldn't the author get really bored? I would.

Cool, we shall aim for Septemberish for the book club? Maybe late Sept. so you can deal with school, etc. first.

Renata said...

Mid/late Sept. would be good, if Vita agrees.

Vita said...

Yeah, sounds good. I'm sure we'll be able to keep each other updated.