Tuesday, August 11, 2009

So... am I the comic relief?

After a couple days of actually serious blogs, (good for you guys, they were interesting... as opposed to mine...) I really feel the need to go on a sort of quasi-rant that you may find funny. I don't blame you, if it was anyone else I'd laugh at them. Here goes:

My (nearly fiftysomething) mother (source of my crazy genetics) has once again brought up that she'd like to get MORE TATOOS. MORE. I should point out that she ALREADY has two. A flamingo on her thigh (which she'd like to get "recolored", too. I guess they fade after 30 years or so...) and a treble clef on her left shoulder. (This one is more recent, smaller, subtle, not AS bad...) But apparently this is not enough for her. Noooooo. She also wants a leopard on her other shoulder, and the DETROIT TIGERS logo on her arm. This one I have a problem with. A.) WE ARE NOT FROM DETROIT. She is not a fan of the Tigers, I doubt she's ever even been there. and B.) Pretty much the SOLE reason she wants this particular tatoo is because KID ROCK (a much younger, male musician, FROM DETROIT whom she loves. Wikipedia lists his generes as "hip-hop, country, rock, rap-metal." She has eclectic, almost current music tastes and this scares me. Why can't she just like Barry Manilow or something?) has this particular tatoo.

Her weak defense of this decision is that D is her first initial. So?

Well, maybe I'm freaking out about this because she is MY MOM, and thus embarrassing. I'll let you decide for yourselves. Think: would you want your mom to have this tatoo in full view of the public? Would your mothers even DO this? I doubt it.



Well, at least without the WORDS Detroit Tigers. Just imagine the logo. On your mom's arm.

*shudder*

She's thinking about getting these as an early birthday present to herself, so I have approximately 6 months to talk her out of this.

5 comments:

Alex said...

That is exceedingly funny.

My mother talked about getting a tattoo for her 50th birthday, but that plan fell through.

Now a tattoo parlor has conveniently opened up across the street from the restaurant my sister works at, but she doesn't want a tattoo anymore because she is a regular blood donater and if you get a tattoo you can't give blood for SIX WHOLE MONTHS. Imagine missing TWO opportunities to donate your blood.

My mother is too much of a good Samaritan to get a tattoo.

Even if she did get a tattoo it would probably be something small and understated in a place of little notice. Detroit Tigers... *chuckle*

I thought of a good question for you!! everyone else can answer (I'll answer on Thursday): if you got a tattoo what would it be and where? Generic, but potentially revealing of personality.

Vita said...

Ahah that is too funny. Your mom is hardcore. I really don't see the appeal of the Detroit Tigers, though. Their logo is kind of... intense, especially to get permanently drawn onto your body. Good luck talking her out of it. Perhaps you can improve your powers of persuasion while you're at it! :)

I know what you mean about her music tastes, sort of. My mom LOVES The Beatles & ABBA, but she refuses to listen to them because they make her feel "old." Meanwhile, she has decided that rap is "interesting" and "clever." Whaa? May I point out that my mother is in her early fifties and is British? Where did this come from?

Alex said...

Your mother is British??

I don't know why that's exciting to me. My dad is technically British as he is from Scotland, but whatever. Just conveying the excitement here.

Does she have an accent and cute phrases and everything??

Renata said...

Awww... I don't have any adorably British parents! Well, heritage-wise I'm Italian and German, but do you mean they've LIVED there? :(

With my mom it isn't so much a refusal to listen to things she likes, she just likes ALL of it. She freely admits liking the Beatles, and has about 5 boxes of old records in the basement. Not all Beatles, course. She also loves the Ramones. This pretty much cements her as a hardcore punk. Still. This was a band from 1979 and half of them are dead.

Yes, I must work on my powers of persuasion. I'm afraid it may be more raving then persuading, though. :)

Vita said...

OHMYGOD SCOTTISH. LIKE DAVID TENNANT/DOCTOR WHO (I think). AHHH. That is so cute. I love European people! <3 I also love Italian people (technically they're European too, but whatever); occasionally I randomly start say "ciao, bella" in a really crap Italian accent and it makes me feel cultured. Sadly, I do not think it lends the same impression to other people. :(

Yes, she is British, but my dad is Indiana-in (the state, not the country, in case you mix those two up). Weirdly, they met in Africa. Random, oh well. Yeah, my mom has an accent (oh, she works at an elementary school, and this one kid asked her if she was Irish because she "sounds like Harry Potter," hahaha). I suppose she has British versions of American phrases, but I don't really notice it because I've lived with her for 15 years. Funny! :D Alex, does your dad have a Scottish accent, still?

Ah well. Raving, that's what we're best at. ;)