Friday, August 14, 2009

Life Around Town

This is very close to what the last group of pigs looked like (they're Vietnamese pigs)

So today I went to the county fair. Woot.
It's sad that we get so excited about this, really, but that is what happens when you cannot drive and do not feel like Metro-ing your way around DC every day of the week. It's official name includes the word "agricultural," which accurately describes one half of the fair, but the other half is basically a carnival with rides and such. Fun stuff.
Actually, my friend is part of 4H, so we met up with her and ended up mostly hanging around the "agriculture" end. It's surprisingly entertaining. There were pig races, if that says anything (I LOVE PIG RACES, they are the best thing ever. I watch them every year, and if it doesn't sound like fun to you, then you need to FIND A PIG RACE IMMEDIATELY. The pigs are ADORABLE, and they usually race billy goats and ducks too. CUTE. Another one of my friends and I got really annoyed because this one lady who "won" the last pig race got to PET THE FREAKING PIG, but she didn't even want to, and we wanted to SO BADLY, but we couldn't. It was depressing).
Geez, if I keep going at this rate, I might actually start to embrace country life. The horror! ;)

What tattoo would you get?

Something small, like a star or a small group of stars behind my right ear. Is that what Rihanna got? I feel like it might be. The problem with tattoos is that there seems to be some much baggage with whatever you choose and it's likely that your tattoo will be called cliche at some point or another. I think it'd be pretty, though. I wouldn't go for anything big and flashy, just because that's not how I roll. I doubt I'd ever get a tattoo, though, because I hate needles. I don't freak out over them, I just deal with them and move on, but I wouldn't go looking for a needle when it wasn't needed. :)

Have you ever read Jane Austen?
I don't believe that I have ever read Jane Austen. Crazy, I know, but for some reason, I haven't. I've read a number of other "classic" authors, but for some reason, never her. Not even "Pride and Prejudice," which I really ought to read, but I somehow never have. It may be because everybody is so in love with "Pride and Prejudice" that I feel it cannot live up to expectation - it's that weird phenomenon that causes you to become less excited for something everyone else is obsessed with. It's probably why I've never seen or read "The Notebook" - I feel like I'm bound to be disappointed by it. It's probably one of the few instances in which I will shamelessly admit that I tend to pick lesser-known or so-called "indie" movies over mainstream ones, because somehow the experience is more moving when you don't have thousands of fans slobbering over one character. (I know that sounds obnoxious, it annoys me when other people act like that, but it's true. I usually don't give a crap about how popular something is - hellooo, I love Harry freaking Potter, if that says anything about that.)
The other reason is that I've seen the movie version of P & P and, horrible as it sounds, it gave me less incentive to read the book. Some details of the plot are changed, of course, and I know that movies are rarely as good as the books, but the basic idea is the same, I think, and I already know what happens. Maybe this is why I wasn't in love with "Romeo and Juliet;"I honestly love the writing and I think much of it is beautiful, but I don't like the play much. I know it basically invented dozens of modern cliches and phrases, but I find all the characters - especially Romeo - completely unrelatable to the point where I was almost relieved when he died. Mercutio is my favorite character. And I already knew what happens in the play, virtually everybody does; I didn't mind reading it or watching it acted out, but it's not without its flaws. The story itself is good, but as a pure love story, it fails miserably. Then again, I don't think it was intended to be a model of a perfect relationship, and I'm annoyed when people treat it as such. It's a tragedy, not a "life is wonderful and then you reproduce" story.
Yes, I realize that Austen has written other books besides P & P, so I'll probably end up reading some of her other books first. I should get on that, she's supposed to be good. Thus far, my favorite novel from that time period is "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne Bronte. :)

Oh, ALEX, I didn't comment this on your post for some reason, but I am SO GLAD you watched AVPM. It's great, isn't it? :D

What would your Patronus be?

No comments: