Sunday, August 9, 2009

Opinionatedness and Complete Bliss

I feel really out of it right now because I'm talking about something I'm really passionate about with a bunch of people who don't really care to be convinced by me. I suppose I'm being a little stubborn, as well, but at least they have more people, while I'm all alone being surrounded in a corner.

It is for this reason I am going to explain to you what I tried to explain to them. I hope it goes better this time.

I don't know when I realized that wearing a logo is like free advertising. It's something you always sort of know, but never really realize as an actual fact. Companies like Hollister and American Eagle have it so easy; they just have to put their logo on t-shirts and sweaters and bags and pants and people will pay THEM to advertise for THEM. It's a pretty sweet deal.

So whether you realize it or not, when you buy an article of clothing with a visible logo, you are supporting that company as a business. You're saying, "I support these people, and I've given them money, which I think you should, too." (not necessarily the last part, but whatever)

** I think the above is pretty easy to grasp, and agree with, right? I'm going to get a little sketchier with my assumptions now. You've been warned. **

This theory also extends to songs and their lyrics. Some might not agree with this, that's okay. But the way I see it, if you listen to (and assumedly spend money on) a song, you are supporting the artist, which means you're not only saying you like their music, you're supporting their lyrics.

Are you with me? What am I saying? Of course you are, you amazingly brilliant-minded people. The question should be do you somewhat think I could be correct? An example? Alrightly.

I won't use something sexual, although there are many, many excellent examples out there, but I'll go with one of my favourites to rag on: Taylor Swift. I like Taylor Swift. I like some of her songs, I think they're fun to sing to in the car and have nice lyrics, that mean something other than "OMG you're so super awesome foxy hot, I want you. You're sexy. Take your clothes off." The thing I don't like is how often she goes off and whines about how all her best guy friends who she's in love with who are out with their unworthy girlfriends.


It seems to me like she's unknowingly promoting sitting in your room and pining over some guy who's out with his girlfriend because you're afraid to tell him how you feel. I can't respect that. It's not his fault he doesn't know you're interested. It is your job to make that fact known. Stop whining, put down the guitar and go after him. Or continue sulking and remain cowardly and alone.


It's not like I have experience in the matter, and maybe it's wrong for me to have such strong opinions about something I know little about, but I like to think that if I ever like a guy enough to write a song about him, I'd also have the nerve to go up to him and tell him what it is I'm writing a song about, before I share it with the entire world.


Feel free to think whatever you want about this. I think I'm actually okay with being the only person in the world to feel like this. However, I'd love to hear what you think about what I've said...


What did you think about when you woke up this morning?
I can't remember. How about, "I'm thirsty"? I'm usually thirsty when I wake up. I'll go with that.

What would you be if you could make enough money at anything?
This is a very good question. I have so much fun imagining things like this, so congratulations on making me happy.

The most specific term I could come up with that explains everything without more than three words is an artist/farmer/entrepreneur. I will explain.

If I had oodles of money to do with what I pleased I would immediately do three things:
1. plant a lavender farm*
2. open up a themed cafe/ice cream parlour**
3. create random art in my spare time that would be very expensive which I would auction off and donate 100% of proceeds to charity work.***

Once I had completed these three things I would be immediately successful and get to do whatever else I wanted with my time. Like going into politics or travelling to distant nations and trying to help in some way. That's basically it. I'm open to questions so if any come up, leave them in the comments.
*footnotes*
*I recently visited one of these and it is a dearest desire of mine to start one. They're just so magical. Attached to the farm would be a store where I would make everything in the world with lavender. Soap, dog shampoo, pie, essential oil, chocolate, toilet cleaner, even lavender flavoured water. Whatever you can think of, I will make with lavender.
**I can't share the particulars because this is the Internet and anyone could steal my brilliant idea but the main idea is that it's newspaper themed and everything will revolve around the news (imagine walking into an ice cream parlour with newspapers covering all the walls!).
***I have to do something charitable if I've going to be so successful.

1 comment:

Vita said...

I'm so glad you blogged about this, it's quite a fascinating subject, you know. ;)

I agree that when you purchase a CD or song you are supporting the artist (unless their agent/whoever is a total scumbag and controls their finances so the artist never sees any of the money, but hopefully that is not the case for most people). It's one of the reasons why I refuse to download songs illegally, because if it's an artist that I like, I want to help them make enough money so that they can continue making music. Of course, I am incredibly annoyed at iTunes for raising the prices on many of their songs to $1.29, and so far I have avoided buying any songs that have been deemed more expensive. It's sad; I haven't been able to download Regina Spektor's new album for that reason. I love her music and I know that these companies have to make money but I simply don't believe that one song is worth more than one dollar. My friends and I send each other songs for free, though, which I suppose is frowned upon my the government, but whatever. They're only traveling in a circle of 3 or 4 people, max, so screw the law, ahah. :)

Whoa, can you say tangent? ANYWAYS, I see your point about Taylor Swift. I think she has a nice enough voice but she's nothing special (other than the fact that she's managed to get this popular this soon); I'm fairly indifferent to her. She has a few songs I like, but I'm not crazy in love or crazy in hate (hehe) with her. I do think that she spends a bit too much time whining about her maybe-guy friends maybe-boyfriends & I completely agree with you about that part. If I was a guy, I'd be a bit hesitant to go out with her simply because I'd know that if it ended badly, my name would probably end up being hated by thousands of Taylor Swift junkies. ;) But I'm not really that bothered by it, to be honest. There are some artists that I refuse to listen to because they either use disgusting lyrics or they're just disgusting people. So I see your point, and generally speaking I agree with you, but I guess I'm just not that bothered by Taylor Swift. You make good points, though. :)

By the by, I would FIND that type of ice cream shop to be totally awesome. I think you should get started on that as soon as possible.